Pentair Intellicenter and Rheem ELS heater

Ghune

Aug 16, 2021
Kansas City
Hello,

I have a Pentair Intellicenter that is doing a fine job automating my Pentair equipment via RS-485 connections to pumps and the pool heater. Our pool builder is supplying a Rheem ELS-0011 electric heater to heat the spa independently of the pool. The Rheem documentation makes mention of a remote interface harness to allow for automation, but I have been unable to find enough detail. There certainly doesn't seem to be an RS-485 port to plug into (Pentair spoiled me!).

Is it possible to control Rheem heaters from Pentair Intellicenter? Maybe some sort of device that sits between them?

G,

Like most heaters, you do not need any kind of fancy harness.. The manual says...

"The heaters are equipped to work with external remote controls. The unit can be connected to either a toggle switch or the switch contacts of a third party remote. The remote works by either making or breaking the circuit created by the remote wiring."

This is exactly how the IntelliTouch controls most heaters.. It basically just opens or closes a small relay. When the relay is closed, the heater, heats the spa water.. When the relay is open the heater stops heating the water..

This is done by connecting two small wires between the heater and the IntelliCenter.

There is no "device" between the heater and the IntelliCenter, just that one small cable..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

That makes a lot of sense. I'm already using some of the IntelliCenter's relays to supply 120v to lighting transformers, so I'm familiar with them.

For this use, I would have the heater's "remote control" wires come into the Intellicenter to an unused relay, with one wire to the line terminal, and the other wire to the load terminal. When on, the relay provides continuity between the two wires, completing the circuit. Do I have that right?

G,

The relay I am taking about is on the electronics board.. You are taking about the High Voltage relays that handle the 120 or 240 Volts AC..

It is technically against code to mix low voltage wiring in with the high voltage relays.

I have an EasyTouch, but assume the IntelliTouch is very similar.. You can connect the two wires from the heater to the gas heater connection. (Yes, I know the heater is electric..) It will work just fine..

Thanks,

Jim R.

G,

Looks like it is J2 on the main IntelliCenter board..

J2 goes to a normally open set of relay contacts.. When the temperature of the water is below the set point, the contacts close and this allows a low voltage from the heater to pass through the relay and back to the heater, that tells the heater to heat... When the temperature of the water gets up to the set point, the relay opens and the heater turn off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That's great info!

We have a personality card installed, i10D for controlling the spa equipment. I'm tracking down which terminals on the expansion card to plug into. Your advice on the J2 should help me find like connection on the daughter card.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.