FtW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Looking for some guidance. I recently had my pool renovated and decided to invest in new pool equipment to assist with maintaining the "new" pool. I have a 1 year old IntelliFlo pump and just installed an EasyTouch8 w/SCG, and ScreenLogic. I'll install the IntelliChem when Pentair gets around to building it.

Issues:
1) Comm- Depending on what manual I read (they have conflicting information), they say the comm for the IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor, IntelliChem, and ScreenLogic connect to J20. I called Pentair Customer Service to inquire and before I could finish asking my question, the tech told me I need to buy an expansion module (as if I haven't spent enough $ on Pentair products, already). I suspect there is another solution. Can I connect the ScreenLogic and IntelliChem to the SCG module, then connect that to J20? To further complicate things, most manuals discuss COM ports on the SCG module. Mine does not have COM ports, it has JP ports instead.
2) Power- The manuals indicate the IntelliChem and IntelliChlor transformer need to be powered by the Filter Pump relay. 3 devices (filter pump, IntelliChem, and IntelliChlor transformer) seems like a bit much for one relay. Is this proper?

Brian

Attachments

• SCG Module.jpg
    SCG Module.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 9
Brian,

You really, really do not want to install an IntelliChem. We do not recommend them at all. If you have an IntelliChlor SWCG there is absolutely no reason to add the IntelliChem.

There is only one RS-485 com port in an EasyTouch. It is J20. If you had 100 devices, they could all electrically be connected to J20, but it would be pretty hard to get all the wires into the one connector.

You can just wire nut everything together and then connect the wire nuts to J20.

Or you can use the additional RS-485 connectors that are on the Surge card (your pic). Of course, you have to connect the surge card to J20, which uses up one of the three connectors.

Or you can buy an expander port, which is handy by not needed.

The IntelliFlo VS pump does not use a relay, it gets constant AC power. If you plan to use a single speed pump, then it will need to use the Pump/Filter relay, but using a single speed pump for your main pool pump is dumber than dirt... :mrgreen: So, I assume you are not going to do that.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Brian,

You really, really do not want to install an IntelliChem. We do not recommend them at all. If you have an IntelliChlor SWCG there is absolutely no reason to add the IntelliChem.

There is only one RS-485 com port in an EasyTouch. It is J20. If you had 100 devices, they could all electrically be connected to J20, but it would be pretty hard to get all the wires into the one connector.

You can just wire nut everything together and then connect the wire nuts to J20.

Or you can use the additional RS-485 connectors that are on the Surge card (your pic). Of course, you have to connect the surge card to J20, which uses up one of the three connectors.

Or you can buy an expander port, which is handy by not needed.

The IntelliFlo VS pump does not use a relay, it gets constant AC power. If you plan to use a single speed pump, then it will need to use the Pump/Filter relay, but using a single speed pump for your main pool pump is dumber than dirt... :mrgreen: So, I assume you are not going to do that.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. It appears you're not a fan of the IntelliChem, what's your reservation with that product? I travel for work and I'm often gone for 1-2 weeks, then home for an equal time. My well water is alkaline and the pool requires roughly 10-12oz of acid/day to keep the pH steady. The IntelliChem seemed like a reasonable product to assist me with the pH swings, in my absence.

The ice storm killed my single speed pump and now I'm using the IntelliFloXF VSF. I'll double-check the manuals for the pump and EasyTouch, I thought they both said to power the pump via the Filter Pump Relay. Thanks for the heads-up.

Brian

Brian,

Where are you trying to keep your pH??? What is your TA?

I have no problem with an acid feeder, but the IntelliChem controls both the SWCG and Acid. It uses ORP to guess at the FC level of the water and needs a very low CYA to do that. It does not work well with the way the TFP pool care process works.

If I were to do an acid feeder it would be a Stenner like pump.

My basic thought is that I want to be in charge and test my own pool water and tell my system what I want it to do. I do not want an automated system that thinks it knows what it is doing and is often wrong. With an SWCG and acid feeder you could be go a month with no issues.

Kind of like automated driving. Works great, right up until the point of the crash.

It is your pool, and you should get want you want. My task is to report to you what most of our members are reporting.

When you have a VS pump, the Pump/Filter relay is used to power the SWCG transformer. The VS pump gets constant AC power. The easiest fix is to just move the pump wires from the load side of the relay to the line side of the relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Brian,

My basic thought is that I want to be in charge and test my own pool water and tell my system what I want it to do. I do not want an automated system that thinks it knows what it is doing and is often wrong. With an SWCG and acid feeder you could be go a month with no issues.

The easiest fix is to just move the pump wires from the load side of the relay to the line side of the relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I agree with this theory, unfortunately my schedule often prevents me from being present to test and tell my system what to do.

I'll go move the pump power now. Thanks for the guidance.

Brian

Brian,

With a SWCG and an acid feeder you can be gone for a month or more. You still test and control what it does over longer periods of time. You should be able to get away with only testing once a month or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.