Spring, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey all. So all of my pool equipment survived the recent deep freeze in Texas...or so I thought. I had the pump running 23 hours a day and had not changed back to the normal schedule. Post freeze I just gave a cursory glance at the equipment area, didn't see any leaks and called it a day.

So 4-5 days ago I noticed an algae bloom starting up and thought that was odd. I assumed I just ran low on salt and would handle it later. So today was later and when I went over to check the status lights on the IC40, there were no lights. At all. So I checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced the fuse, turned power on and instant blow again. I pulled the cell and the plates didn't look bad at all though there was some weird looking white gunk that I cleaned out. Acid washed anyway and now the inside was pristine. Hooked everything back up and fuse insta-blows again. Ugh. I have to assume it is dead right? Which sucks since I bought it on 3/2/19.

So my question...could the deep freeze have somehow killed the electronics? Or is this just a crazy coincidence?

So my question...could the deep freeze have somehow killed the electronics? Or is this just a crazy coincidence
It very well may have, or it was just time this year anyway. How old is the unit and roughly what is your best guesstimate about its runtime?

My own IC60 reached end of life just a handful of hours into a new season so at first glance it seemed to be dead from the start but it did work for the first few cycles.

I would at least attempt a Warranty claim. They have a two year warranty.
Yeah my local guy I think is trying to work it with Pentair. Crossing my fingers because I bet it died before the 2 years was up and I just didn't notice a few weeks ago. Will probably find out tomorrow.

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
My guy got it warrantied and we are back in business!

Funny anecdote, Pentair thought he was trying to pull a fast one when he gave them the serial number because it was manufactured in 2017. John pulled up the invoice with the serial on it and the Pentair guy was shocked since that meant it sat around in the distribution warehouse for 2 years! John has a small store and doesn't keep many big ticket items in stock. The new one was manufactured a couple of months ago.(y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.