Pentair Heat Pump control using spade connections for Aqualink automation

Sitkom

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Oct 13, 2018
Scottsdale,AZ
Fluidra (Jandy) instructed me to use the Solar Pump 24VDC relay (after flipping the S1-8 and S2-1 dip switches) connected to the spade connectors on the HP control board (Com/Pool in this case).

Sanity check with the community here that these connectors on the control board are OK with 24VDC as there is zero documentation on what specific voltage the spade connector block is expecting - or if it's simply expecting a contact switch like on the MasterTemp fireman switch on pins 1-2 on the 10 pin green bar connector. Also, does it matter which wire is Com?

Thanks!

Which model Pentair Heat Pump are we discussing?

You do not put any voltage on the contacts. The board is looking for a relay to make a connection.

Yes, one specific contact is COM. Others are POOL and SPA.

So there have been a number of posts on this and I thought I would share some key learnings as it relates to my particular setup, which I think is pretty ordinary. Hope it helps. I have iAqualink 3.0 on the Aqualink RS8 rev T.2g.

First is, if you're set on using Aqualink like I am, you'll need to be OK with the Aqualink just being a smart switch for the Pentair heaters. There is no RS485 comm interface with those products for Aqualink, but in reality, the heaters are pretty much a set and forget situation for me anyway, so I don't feel that the RS485 comms is critical. I like my pool at 85 and my spa at 103. Done.

For this pool, I have 3, 3HP Intelliflo VSF pumps, one for filter/heater circuit, one for spa jets, one for water feature. Ultratemp 140 H/C heat pump (pool), Mastertemp 400 propane heater (spa) and a C&C+ 420 filter. Pool is about 25k gallons.

Mastertemp 400 setup is easy, connect the fireman switch to the appropriate terminals on the Aqualink 10-pin green bar (first 2 on the right).

For the Ultratemp heat pump you basically have to push the Aqualink RS into thinking the Solar circuit is a Heat Pump. The Fluidra (Jandy) CSR I spoke to had to research it for 15 minutes. Apparently not a very common setup and he originally did not give me accurate data, which resulted in a couple replacement fuses on the Aqualink (eyeroll).

Here's the process:
  1. Turn off the power.
  2. Flip Aqualink DIP switches S1-8 and S2-1 ON - this tells the app that there's no Solar, just Heat Pump.
  3. Connect the Mastertemp fireman switch on pins 1-2 of the 10 pin greenbar, pins 3-4 are for the Spa temp sensor, pins 5-6 are for the Pool temp sensor (optional since Heat Pump has temp sensor) and pins 7-8 are for the Air temp sensor
  4. Connect the 2-pin Solar Pump relay (24VDC) - lower right side of board, 3rd from right - to an unused relay - or add a relay in the low-voltage area of the power center.
  5. Connect the appropriate spade relay terminals on the Ultratemp control board (pool/spa + common) to the left or right side of the new relay.
Now when you hit Solar pump on the Aqualink board, the heat pump will fire up. It shows up as Heat Pump in the app/web.

The Ultratemp Heat Pump control board spade connectors are expecting only a contact switch, no voltage - basically the same operation as the Mastertemp fireman switch, though none of this is apparently documented. If you connect the 24VDC to the spade terminals directly, instead of to the relay, you may damage the Aqualink board - at best you'll blow the fuse on the back of the board, like I did, twice.

Turn the power on and go into the app, and the Heat Pump should appear.

In this configuration, the Aqualink simply is a smart switch for the heat pump. All the temp ranges, heat/cool mode, etc. is still configured at the Ultratemp panel.

Have fun!

Reactions: HermanTX