cbanks19

Jul 26, 2021
NH
Hi everyone....

My 14 month old pool pump (see title for type) would no longer turn on when we returned from vacation this weekend. I have spent several hours reading through websites, watching videos, etc... However, I couldn't seem to find a post that dealt with pumps just not turning on at all when plugged in... I have done all the steps listed regarding power, cleaning, etc... I am now down to the part where you crack the seal and take a look inside. Well... I did that at lunch and the pics below show what problem(s) I have... Based on the Pentair website manual for my pump the part being shown in the photos is the MOTOR.

Link to manual (Page 14 for diagram, these are shots of the rear of the pump I believe its part 1 (motor)): https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...n-operation-manual-english-spanish-french.pdf

See attached photos...

My questions are..
- What do I do now?
- If I dismantle the pump can i reattach the connector that has detached from the motor?
- Why is it burned and how did it disconnect?
- No white wire connection explains why the pump will not turn on correct?
- We had a WhiteNight heat pump installed this year... any chance this could have affected the pumps issue?

Attachments

• Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi, welcome to TFP! I’m sorry to say that motor is toast. You will either need to replace the motor or replace the complete pump. Was there a lightning strike or power surge while you were away?

Oh no... really? I can't rip it apart and reconnect that bolt that has come undone?

Couple of facts about last week in NH...
- We had many storms this month. Lots of rain but not very much lightning.
- Last week we had 2 lightning storms at night when I run the pump and heater.
- As mentioned above I did purchase and install a white night heating pump. Any chance the heating pump could have cause that problem?

Lastly, do you know what that is called? The pump is only 14 months old and summers are short. Any ideas on what else might have caused this issue? We ran power to the pool, licensed electrician installed to code, 220V total, 110 for the pump, 110 for the heater...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.