Pentair "Clear-pro Technology", Sand Filter

Just re reading the Pentair information on the clearPro, They state "Traditional sand filters can only remove particles in the 50-100 micron range"
Well that is not really true, depending on the grade of sand used, it is pretty widely accepted that sand filters filter to around 15-25 microns.

So if according to their marketing information they can "removes particles up to five times smaller..."
Then they are polishing the water to 10-20 microns, not really much different to a good sand filter without ClearPro, or have I mis understood?
http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro...mount-filter-with-clearpro-technology-207.htm

Despite what may have been published (typos?), I am pretty sure these are the "real deal". The material from which they are made and the (for now) high cost plus my conversations with Brice @ Pentair, makes me think this technology works.

For now, the market share does not appear large enough for any of us to have any experience.

I am sure there is some improvement over the existing laterals, not least the prevention of sand entering the pool if the rather flimsy current pattern of laterals sustains a failure.

I just can't imagine , and I hope Brice will come back and comment on the figures stated on their advert and the logical conclusion I have made. They do not actually state what the filtration is down to, merely from what point they are starting and with litigation these days, are they under selling or really stating true figures?

Given #20 silica sand (the standard), 50-100 is about right.

Numbers aside, you notice a difference in the water.

teapot said:
Just re reading the Pentair information on the clearPro, They state "Traditional sand filters can only remove particles in the 50-100 micron range"
Well that is not really true, depending on the grade of sand used, it is pretty widely accepted that sand filters filter to around 15-25 microns.

So if according to their marketing information they can "removes particles up to five times smaller..."
Then they are polishing the water to 10-20 microns, not really much different to a good sand filter without ClearPro, or have I mis understood?
http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro...mount-filter-with-clearpro-technology-207.htm

cadillac said:
Given #20 silica sand (the standard), 50-100 is about right.

Numbers aside, you notice a difference in the water.

Perhaps at night when the pool lights are on, but in daylight there is no visible difference, assuming the sand filter is sized appropriately for the pool. I've used both DE and sand (currently) and since learning how to take care of my chemistry...my neighbors are amazed at the water clarity I am able to acheive with just a "sand" filter running 6hrs a day. I'll agree that a DE or cart filter can clear up a cloudy pool much faster than a sand filter, but once you are in a maintenance mode, I know I can't tell the 3 apart, except when those darn pool lights are on :goodjob:

I'd switch back to DE if needed, but we're on season 2 with regular #20 sand now and couldn't be happier, as you can see in the pics I don't have tree/pollen/acorn/leaves friendly environment either.

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

We've sorta' beat this dead horse a time or two over the years, but I want to chime in my agreement with dman.......when my chemistry is correct and I've run my plain ole' sand filter sufficiently, the water is absolutely perfectly clear.

Which goes back to my earlier post.

teapot said:
But there are already superior filter mediums around than sand which although used by millions it can easily be bettered, is this not going against TFP low cost pool ownership, lots of people are very happy with sand do we need it?

If the finer filtration actually reduced the chlorine usage or other chemicals then there would be a good reason to change. It seems you have to go to near reverse osmosis levels to really gain that much. Of course that won't stop us experimenting. I have done very little work with cartridge filters but understand that they regularly filter much finer dependant on which filters are fitted.

vln said:
Sand may be fine for others, but with all the leaves and fine dirt that gets in my pool anything other than DE would be a waste. Also clears up the water extremely fast.

Absolutely a personal preferrence and DE is a great filter media...but it you take a peek at my pics above, you'll notice 60-80+ ft tall pines, maple, Oak and Locust(sp?) trees..only 25ft away from the pool...again the sand is working just fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We really haven't gotten a through report. It has never caught on, so very few people have reported about it. What has been said was vague, not totally loving it but not hating it either, with no details.

My cube neighbor has one and loves it. He had a TA60 before, but changed to a TA60 with clearPro. The water is much more clear, but it's still simple to backwash. Some people complained in the beginning about the pressure rising too quickly with theses filters. What they didn't understand was the filter was cleaning up their water. I personally think this is the best of all the types of filters, super clear and easy to clean.

I am embarrassed to write that though I started this thread almost a year ago when filter shopping I still have not replaced my failing ( failed?) filter. Well the time has finally come. Filter effectiveness is now down significantly and I am getting more sand discharged into the pool. Yesterday I ordered a Tagelus TA 60 with Clear-Pro and plan to install it some time im the next several days. If time allows I will document the installation. In any event I will report on the function once I get it installed.

BTW After some looking I found this filter available for about the same or less momey than the same model without Clear-pro.

When it comes to talking about "micron ratings" it all comes down to how you actually interpret the test data. Clearpro shows a noticeable improvement in the 10-20 micron range when it comes to first pass efficiency. That doesn't mean its necessarily GOOD at filtering particles in those range, but with enough passes through the filter, you can start to visually see a difference. It won't give you DE clarity right away, but with time, it can filter out finer particles than a typical sand filter. DE filters take out particles that small on the first pass through.

As with any finer filtration, your cleaning cycles will shorten.

Unfortunately, the price premium is high. Also, the sand market generally doesn't seem to care as much about clarity. I'm guessing these are the main reasons it hasn't really caught on.

BriceJohnson said:
Unfortunately, the price premium is high. Also, the sand market generally doesn't seem to care as much about clarity. I'm guessing these are the main reasons it hasn't really caught on.
I am guessing that not every one simply chucks out a perfectly good filter because you have some fancy laterals.

If and when you get round to offering the laterals with the usual fittings then I am guessing you may get a rush to buy.

For now I am using/experimenting with activated glass and the occasional floc to remove even smaller particles than clear pro but then I do care about clarity.

teapot said:

BriceJohnson said:
When it comes to talking about "micron ratings" it all comes down to how you actually interpret the test data. Clearpro shows a noticeable improvement in the 10-20 micron range.

Doesn't seem I was that far out in the 10-20 micron stakes, thanks Brice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.