Pentair Clean and Clear Filter assembly lid cracked

peterrietmann

Jun 23, 2021
Brentwood California
Hi

I have a Pentair Filter Clean & Clear Plus 520 filter which the lid assembly suddenly cracked when activating the pump one morning.
Question is it ok to replace the Lid assembly or should the whole filter be replaced ? The filter is about 15 years old. Any others having similar experience or broken filter lids ? common problem ?

2021-07-22_9-50-32.jpg

Hi James ,

We purchase the house recently (2019) which had the pool installed around 2005 so that's where I'm getting the 15 years from (no date visible on the label) . The pump is Pentair Intelliflo VSF we we installed new two years ago. When running the filter in normal operation its around 10 psi and when pumping to solar its up around 20 psi. The filter cartridges were replaced in May this year.

The lid assembly part is - Pentair Filter Lid Assembly Clean & Clear Plus 520 | 178582

The Leslies rep says there is a 6 month back order for such parts.

So your recommendation is to replace the whole filter and not just the lid ?

Attachments

• 1626974330355.png
    1626974330355.png
    439.5 KB · Views: 2
If you decide to replace with the same unit, check out the post below. @MyAZPool just had a CCP520 delivered.

Thanks Mayorb - I will mention to the home warranty repairman hope he/she will agree.
@ James it may have been 2004 but definitely not before so 17 years max. in your experience how old does it look? it could be possible that they installed used pool equipment but I doubt it.
If the home warranty company only wants to replace the lid assembly, ask if they are going to assume the liability of the lower portiln also being faulty. If they won't buy off on that, some home warranty companies will pay out the cash value of the lid if you purchase an entire new filter assembly.

Look online for stock as some filters are difficult to find locally.

As @JamesW stated, the entire filter needs to be replaced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do not allow them to recommend that the top only gets replaced.

Let them know that it is not acceptable.

If the person who shows up does not agree to replace the whole filter, ask them to show you their credentials, certifications and their qualifications.

Call the owner of the service company and tell them that if they try to recommend that the top only gets replaced, they are going to get more problems than they can deal with.

For example, tell them that they will be liable for anyone getting hurt or killed by an exploding filter.

Email Pentair and get their opinion.

There are about 10 places that you can register a complaint with if they try to replace the top only.

Reactions: Newdude
*cough* crack the bottom too *cough*.

Excuse me. Dang allergies and scratchy throat. Anywho, Hey Peter :wave:

Thanks, everyone for the advice (y) , Home warranty assigned a pool service technician with an average of 1.2 stars out of 5 from a town 2 hours away. arrrrh
They can diagnose the problem from the pictures.

Really no need for a visit.

Email the service company the pictures of everything and ask them to make a diagnosis and a recommendation.

All you need is one trip for them to show up with a new filter and get this done in one trip.

It's a huge waste of everyone's time to send someone driving for 4 hours to diagnose this and then you wait a week to get it approved and then ordered and rescheduled for installation.

Guaranteed that one trip will be a no show or cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.

I sent them all the pictures I have, they probably are interested to make the 75 $ fee and never hear from them again, James typically home warranty service will recommend the most expensive option , last year we had an airconditioner stop working and the guy tried to get 6000 repair from home warranty where in fact it was fixed with a 3$ fuse from home depot.
I appreciate your all feedback and NewDude hope your cough improves ;)

Reactions: Newdude
I sent them all the pictures I have
I would call them the first thing tomorrow morning to ask them to make a diagnosis and a recommendation based on the pictures.

I would not accept anything other than a new filter.

Ask them if the new filter can get installed on Monday or Tuesday.

Tell the service company that there is no reason to drag this out and to make a decision and get it fixed correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.