Bonsall, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pool was finished june of 2022 and I have 5 check valves installed (1 Pentair which was added new recently)
3 are pentair and 2 are jandy ( not sure if it is relevant but 1 of the jandy is basically a coupler, check flap removed as the plumber installed it in error). The 2 jandy are installed facing forward, the 3 pentair are facing up. I noticed a leak on the check valve for the solar and on closer look found that the lid was cracked. Inspecting the other pentair that has been installed since new it appears to have one similar crack forming. The jandy's are fine. I ordered an atie replacement for the leaking one and have installed it.
Any clue what might cause this and how to prevent it?20230205_150307.jpg

Have you spoken to Pentair about it?

It could be that they have a manufacturing problem. Unless there was something obvious, like a freeze, then that would appear to be a material defect in the manufacturing process. Either the clear plastic they are using isn’t compatible with the material the body of the valve is made out of (different thermal expansion coefficients) OR the design of the lid allows for too much stress to build up causing the plastic to crack.

The circular pattern of the cracking is a dead give away to uneven stress gradients across the face plate.

It also could be that whoever installed it did not properly tighten down the screws in a criss-cross pattern to avoid putting too much stress on one side. On these types of covers when using machine screws, you have to tighten the screws slowly and progressively working your way in a criss-cross pattern and not tightening them more than a 1/4 turn past hand right before moving on to the next screw. If you try to tighten one screw too far without doing the others it’s easy to stress the plastic and cause cracking. Most people who work around these kinds of parts and automotive types know to do this instinctively, but newbies and slackers don’t give it a thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.