Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi, I need to replace my drain plug and the o ring that goes in it when I clean my filter in a few weeks. The OEM parts seem like a rip off.

Has anyone tried replacing the drain plug and O ring with the non Pentair options?
Pentair 190030 Drain Plug Cap Assembly Replacement Pool and Spa Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VU8NEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9KKJ01S902PGPEFN8ET9

Pentair 51005000 Drain Plug O-Ring Replacement Pool/Spa Filter and Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005P4UGSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CTKW3AHRYD752141RX2T

@Rancho Cost-a-Lotta Last time I had to tighten it extra because it started leaking a few weeks after I had opened it. Additionally the folks who lived here before me and the pool guy have basically worn it down when opening/closing so it can be tough to grab onto.

Now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t remember seeing an o-ring when I took it off/on last time. I’ll have to confirm once I open to clean soon.

I went to the pool store today and picked up an aftermarket replacement which came with an o-ring so have it on hand. They did not have the Pentair branded one and insisted it will work just as well.

Last edited:
I'm sure the aftermarket brand will work just fine. For future reference, Ace Hardware sells individual O-rings out of a display box. I was going to suggest trying to match one up from their inventory, but it looks like you are good for now.

Reactions: kul
I'm sure the aftermarket brand will work just fine. For future reference, Ace Hardware sells individual O-rings out of a display box. I was going to suggest trying to match one up from their inventory, but it looks like you are good for now.
I can report that the aftermarket plug from amazon failed in less than 2 years. It sheared at the threads and my pump emptied out probably 4-5,000 gallons of water. I tried saving a few bucks and learned my lesson the hard way! I am currently reverse engineering this plug (pretty simple) and going to make one out of brass to avoid rounding off the soft 7/8" nut on the plug.

I ended up just deciding not to remove the plug and just clean my filter without doing that since I am able to get most of the water out with a quick few scoops. I did buy the replacement plug but have it on hand in case I ever want to do the work.

Another option. I heard that the nut on those is a PITA to get to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.