Tool for drain plug on Pentair Cartridge Filter?

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
Do they make a special tool for opening this plug (other than pair of pliers)? What a pain. Mine is tough to get to based off how they ran the piping and where they positioned the drain plug in relation to that. With a pair of pliers a complete nightmare. When I clean the filter I typically just shop vac out everything at the bottom and don’t mess with this pain in the rear drain plug but since I needed to drain everything quick due to the freeze I unscrewed it. Getting back on was a pain as well. I’m thinking at this point unless it’s another apocalypse down here that plug is NEVER coming off again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
B,

I assume you have a CCP style filter...

I could not agree more about the position of the drain plug, but no special tool is needed.. It simply takes a 7/8" box end wrench... Or it was before you used your pliers.. :mrgreen:

It is the same size as the band clamp, but no way is there enough room for a ratchet wrench. It should not be tight, so even an open end wrench should work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

C.Johnson

In The Industry
May 14, 2019
Tulsa, OK
Reactions: Jimrahbe

nikolausp

Gold Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Houston, TX
I will add that a dual size ratcheting wrench such as the one below is perfect for Pentair/Sta-Rite FNS+, Clean and Clear Plus, and Quad DE filters.

It has both 3/4 for the band clamp nut, and 7/8 for the drain plug.

The band clamp nut is 3/4"? Everything I've seen / read says it's 7/8".

*EDIT - I just looked it up in the Pentair manual...... the clamp nut is 7/8".

1614288752929.png