Pentair actuators: can I have a valve half opened vs all the way?

LearningAboutPools

Jul 4, 2021
Henderson, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm looking at adding another Pentair actuator to go with my existing two on my system.

The reason for this is that I have a valve I turn by hand to turn on or turn off my bubblers.

I'd love to be able to set the valve to only open halfway (so a 45 degree turn instead of full 90).

Is this something you can do with an actuator or are they only full 90 degree rotations?

You can definitely adjust for that. What you cannot do is tell your automation to set it half way, 1/4 way, etc. Basically, there are two little limit switches that you rotate around to set the open and closed position - very easy to do and is detailed in the instructions.

Reactions: LearningAboutPools
So in my automation system would I tell it they are different valve positions? Say I'd name one fully closed, then partially, then full open?

So it would receive different commands telling it which of the preset positions to move the valve to?

So in my automation system would I tell it they are different valve positions? Say I'd name one fully closed, then partially, then full open?

So it would receive different commands telling it which of the preset positions to move the valve to?
I’m saying you *cannot* do that. You set the limit switches for the on and off position on the actuator itself. The automation just sends forward/reverse voltage to the valve, and it stops wherever you set this limit switches. You can pull the top off one of you’d existing valves if you want to see the switches and how it works - very simple once you get your head around how it works. Might also be helpful to download the valve manual and have a look at that.

Reactions: LearningAboutPools
Thank you again for your help, it looks like the IntelliValve is what I am really after as it appears to let me adjust how far open (closed) the valve turns in smaller increments.

Thank you again for your help, it looks like the IntelliValve is what I am really after as it appears to let me adjust how far open (closed) the valve turns in smaller increments.

Sure thing. Just know that they currently do not support multiple valve positions from the IntelliCenter, etc. It is allegedly on the roadmap, but no commitment as to when. Why they would release the variable position valve without support from the automation panel I will never know.

All that said, you can do what you want to do with either the standard actuator or the intellivalve- the automation will treat them the same. Does that make sense?

@LearningAboutPools

Since it appears that you are serious about the IntelliValves, here is a little bit more information that you may not find in the documentation.

When I installed the IntelliValves in 2018, I discovered that although there are 24 lights, there are actually 48 positions. The diverter within the valve housing moves 3.75 degrees for each push of the RED or YELLOW arrows. You can select any of these 48 positions as the home and second saved positions. While fooling with them, I found that the positioning of the actual valve diverter was actually more precise using the actuator, then when I would position the valves manually by using the valve handle.
IMG_4708.JPG

This actuator is pretty easy to use and kind of fun to play with. I found the programming of the HOME and second position fairly intuitive and straight forward once you do it once or twice. The instructions in the manual, not as much. They could have simplified the instructions a bit I think.

Basically you just press the MODE button until the blue SET light illuminates. Move the RED arrow to the first position that you want to save and press SAVE. Then move the RED button to the next position that you want to save and press SAVE. Press the MODE button until the green AUTO light illuminates. The actuator will move the valve to the first saved position. If you want home to be the other saved position, then just press the RED and YELLOW buttons simultaneously while in the AUTO mode and the actuator will move the valve to that second position and consider it HOME. That's it basically.

SERVICE
mode is used to change the valve position to any other position other than the two saved positions. More like a "manual" mode.

I devised a chart that kind of illustrates the movement of the valve and its positioning each time one of the arrows are pressed. Kind of goofy I guess, but it helped me initially to understand the positioning of the diverter in relationship to the IntelliValve indicator lights.

2021-07-15_17-38-31.jpg

Thanks..
r.

@LearningAboutPools

Since it appears that you are serious about the IntelliValves, here is a little bit more information that you may not find in the documentation.

When I installed the IntelliValves in 2018, I discovered that although there are 24 lights, there are actually 48 positions. The diverter within the valve housing moves 3.75 degrees for each push of the RED or YELLOW arrows. You can select any of these 48 positions as the home and second saved positions. While fooling with them, I found that the positioning of the actual valve diverter was actually more precise using the actuator, then when I would position the valves manually by using the valve handle.
View attachment 355496

This actuator is pretty easy to use and kind of fun to play with. I found the programming of the HOME and second position fairly intuitive and straight forward once you do it once or twice. The instructions in the manual, not as much. They could have simplified the instructions a bit I think.

Basically you just press the MODE button until the blue SET light illuminates. Move the RED arrow to the first position that you want to save and press SAVE. Then move the RED button to the next position that you want to save and press SAVE. Press the MODE button until the green AUTO light illuminates. The actuator will move the valve to the first saved position. If you want home to be the other saved position, then just press the RED and YELLOW buttons simultaneously while in the AUTO mode and the actuator will move the valve to that second position and consider it HOME. That's it basically.

SERVICE mode is used to change the valve position to any other position other than the two saved positions. More like a "manual" mode.

I devised a chart that kind of illustrates the movement of the valve and its positioning each time one of the arrows are pressed. Kind of goofy I guess, but it helped me initially to understand the positioning of the diverter in relationship to the IntelliValve indicator lights.

View attachment 355499

Thanks..
r.
Thank you!

How are you controlling it? My main goal is to be able to use my cell phone to adjust how open my bubblers are. How many different positions do you normally use?

Thank you!

How are you controlling it? My main goal is to be able to use my cell phone to adjust how open my bubblers are. How many different positions do you normally use?
@LearningAboutPools
My six IntelliValves are controlled via the 24VAC valve actuator sockets provided for on the Pentair IntelliCenter circuit boards and yes, if using one of the Pentair Automation platforms, you should be able to actuate the IntelliValve via an app installed on your phone.

Currently, the IntelliValves can only support two positions (the Home and Second Position) which are programmable. So, I can only currently use two positions for each of my valves.
In 2018, Pentair announced a feature that would allow the IntelliValve to be connected to the IntelliCenter RS-485 bus and would allow 5-position programming for the actuator. Since then, that feature has been shelved and according to Pentair management, that feature will now be available in Q3 2021. But frankly I have very little confidence that they will succeed in making that timeline.

Thanks...
r.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.