Pentair 188592 Quad DE 60 Install Questions

Palpatine

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2019
West Hills, CA
Hi Pool Experts,

Hope you're all staying safe out there.

I'm looking to replace my Hayward DE 4800 with the Pentair Quad DE 60 pool filter and had a couple of questions that I'm hoping I can get the answers to prior to ordering new filter.

1. Is this going to be just as simple as unscrewing the current unions and screwing the new filter in?

2. My current intake, on the Hayward, is the bottom line... does anyone know if the Pentair Quad DE 60 intake is also on the bottom (I keep reading that things are "backwards" on the Pentair but not sure what they're referring to)?

3. Can I keep the current backwash valve or do I need to buy and install the valve designed for the Pentair?

I can't seem to find the specs of the Pentair anywhere... height of the valves, etc. and with the current lockdown situation I really don't want to go running around to buy plumbing supplies. If it's as simple as "plug and play" I'll order the new filter now, otherwise I'll just wait a month or so.

NOTE: please ignore the arrows on this pic... I used it for a different question a few months back and I guess I don't have the original.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
New Pool Equipment Pad.jpg

You're going to need to replumb it a bit. On a Pentair QuadDE, the inlet is on the top and the outlet is on the bottom. The backwash valves are not compatible.

Reactions: Palpatine
If you get an oversized DE filter (I have a QuadDE-100 on my 16,000 gallon pool), then you can go an entire swim season or more without the pressure ever budging. So, in that case, it makes sense to simply clean it out once per season. It's also less stress on the filter cartridges when you don't backwash. That said, I would still get a backwash valve as it makes it much easier to clean the filter out when you backwash first and then open it up.

Pentair makes both the standard push/pull backwash valve and a multiport valve. I don't particularly see a reason to have a multiport valve as I have never had a reason to use recirculate or waste mode. The MPV's tend to add a little bit of head loss to the filter but it's not horrible. So, depending on your needs, you could go with either option.

Hmmm... looking at the different valves (very confusing) and reading some reviews about plumbing and I'm starting to think that I should just replace with another Hayward DE filter like the DE6020. Would it be a straight forward unplug the unions and connect the new filter? Thoughts? Filter recommendations?

Pal,

You need to look up the manual on each filter, and in the back is usually a spec page showing all the relevant dimensions..

I have two rent house pools with DE filters, and never backwash anymore, I just clean them twice a year. When they die, they will be replaced by large cartridge filters.. No more DE to mess with and no MVP or backwash valves to leak or go bad..

Thanks,,

Jim R.

I have a DE100 and use the following backwash valve:
FOR D.E. AND SAND FILTERS
FullFloXF High Performance Valve has near zero pressure loss across the valve that significantly reduces the amount of energy required by a filtration system. Depending on your utility rates, this valve could save you hundreds of dollars per year when compared to a typical backwash valve. The FullFloXF Backwash Valve easily retrofits to Triton, Quad D.E., FNSPlus, System:3, and System:2 Mod D.E. Filters.

FEATURES
  • Title 24-compliant for 2 in., 2-1/2 in,, or 3 in. plumbing
  • Valve body constructed of high quality corrosion-resistant PVC
  • Incredibly low pressure loss significantly reduces the amount of energy used
  • Robust design assures years of trouble free operation
  • Available with unions that allow easy adaptation to all Pentair and Sta-Rite back washable filters
  • Also available without unions
  • Comfort grip over-molded large handle
  • 3 in. OD and 2-1/2 in. ID ports
  • Full, unrestricted straight through 2-1/2 in. flow
  • Removable end caps for servicing ease
  • Molded in markings and text to show handle position and port labeling
That said, I don't really backwash. I tear down the filter 3-4 times a year and do a full clean.

Chris

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I never really backwash either... I'll tear it down or just hose off the grids. Main reason for looking at the Quad DE was that it didn't have that funky spiral grid design that they Hayward has and is a bit of a pain to completely tear down and put back together.

However, the upside of not having to buy a bunch of additional parts and re-plumbing is quite attractive.

Strongly considering just replacing my DE-4800 with the DE6020... or maybe even DE7220.

As I was browsing on Hayward's site right now I noticed they have a filter that looks very similar to Pentair's Quad DE... Anyone know anything about Hayward's DEP80 (or the DEP line in general, any good)? Also looks like a simple plug and play for existing Hayward customers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup, looks like the DE7220... expensive at $843 compared to the DE6020 at $672 but bigger is better I hear.

Interesting that nobody on this site is familiar with the DEP80. Saw a couple of threads where people asked about it but nobody answered. Maybe it's too new?

It’s relatively new. Basically just a Hayward version of the QuadDE that Pentair released 10 years ago. There’s no great difference between the two - if you have Hayward equipment, why mix Pentair into it? Just go with the Hayward model.

@JoyfulNoise Agreed. Never knew about the DEP line from Hayward but thought the DE/Cartridge hybrid combo of the Pentair Quad DE was cool.

Spiral grids are a pain in the neck to clean... but I guess with the bigger filter (7220) comes less cleaning.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I truly appreciate it as always.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.