LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
Stockton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We're looking to buy a house which is advertised as "Pebbletec salt pool" but I didn't see any SWG in the pool equipment enclosure. When I inquired about it, the answer I received says "Adds the salt directly to the pool when test samples taken to Leslie Pool (free) usually nothing needed."
I know nothing about Pebbletec pools so maybe people just throw a bag of salt in the pool if Leslie's says so.
I thought SWG equipment is needed to regulate chlorine in the pool. Is that not the case?

New,

If you don't have a SWCG, then you don't have what most people call a "saltwater" pool.

I guess if you add salt to the water and add chlorine some other way, it is "technically" a saltwater pool, but not from a sales point of view.

The most expensive part of a saltwater pool is the Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG).. I would ask for a reduction in price to cover installing a new one.

That said, no matter what the pool is now, if I were buying the house, it would soon be a saltwater pool.. SWCG's are the only way I'd ever run a pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you. Unfortunately, these days the listing price is the starting price to start bidding in California. Majority of homes are listed with inspection reports and state the desire to sell as-is. But that's a different story.
From what I've read about Salt pools, a SWCG is required to electrolyze salt. Is that optional?

New,

No, it is not optional in my mind.. The whole point of having a saltwater pool is that it makes its own chlorine. The cell uses DC voltage to convert the saltwater into chlorine, which sanitizes the pool water. The chlorine gets used up and reforms into salt again...

I guess my point was.. no matter what, I suggest that you do whatever is necessary to make the pool into a fully operational saltwater pool, with an fully functioning Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG)...

In my mind the only kind of pool to have.

If you get a chance, show us some pics of the equipment pad..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: New2water
The term salt water pool is somewhat ambiguous. Some add salt to the pool for therapeutic reasons or because they like the way it feels and sanitize the pool using liquid or solid forms of chlorine.

Reactions: HermanTX
If you love the house, don't get hung up on semantics that the realtor is using. Once you are in the house and have ownership and control, then come back to the forum for guidance on setting up your system to function properly. Based on what I am interpreting, they use salt for therapeutic reasons. So you will need to invest in a saltwater chlorine generator (which makes chlorine using the salt in the water) for another couple of $$k. Probably a drop in the bucket for you are paying for housing in this crazy market. Good Luck.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice, as always.
You're right that SWCG is probably a drop in this $1.4M bucket Our bucket is running dry in the bidding above-list game. :oops: This is a magical pool that is always in balance when they take water samples to their Leslie's shop and don't have to add anything.
What's the ball-park cost to add SWCG to this 25,000-gallon pool?
I couldn't get to enter the equipment pad to take a picture because the door doesn't open. What I was able to see was a filter housing, a couple of control boxes and 3 pumps; one being for the solar water heater. I've requested pictures of the equipment pad. The pool was built in 2006.
1629262359584.png

It really depends on what equipment is there now. We like to recommend brand to brand possibly adding to automation. If there isn't one brand throughout the equipment pad then most likely there's no automation of any kind and at that point there's are a few good choices to be had. Circupool has some very good well regarded SWCG's here on the forum. As a previous poster said don't get wrapped around this in the big picture. Best of luck bidding.

Reactions: New2water
What's the ball-park cost to add SWCG to this 25,000-gallon pool?
Beautiful pool! Based on the listing info, I bet the pool has a SWG installed. Wait until you get a good look at the pool equipment before adding further stress to the process. It may be worth finding a home inspector that specializes in pools.

TFP recommends installation of a SWG rated for double the pool capacity. The pool is right in between a SWG rated for 40K gallons and 60K gallons. In a hot CA climate, the 60K system would be best. Buying the bigger system is usually a better value. With a higher rated system, you can reduce pump runtimes to save energy. The only sustainable option to a SWG is liquid chlorine which needs to be added daily from spring through fall.

SWG prices have skyrocketed in the last 6 months due to supply/demand and the rising cost of the rare metals used to produce chlorine. A 60K unit will cost +/- $1,500-$1,800 plus installation (varies, but budget $500). As previously mentioned, costs may vary depending on whether the pool pad is automated and whether a SWG controller is already installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beautiful pool! Based on the listing info, I bet the pool has a SWG installed. Wait until you get a good look at the pool equipment before adding further stress to the process. It may be worth finding a home inspector that specializes in pools.

TFP recommends installation of a SWG rated for double the pool capacity. The pool is right in between a SWG rated for 40K gallons and 60K gallons. In a hot CA climate, the 60K system would be best. Buying the bigger system is usually a better value. With a higher rated system, you can reduce pump runtimes to save energy. The only sustainable option to a SWG is liquid chlorine which needs to be added daily from spring through fall.

SWG prices have skyrocketed in the last 6 months due to supply/demand and the rising cost of the rare metals used to produce chlorine. A 60K unit will cost +/- $1,500-$1,800 plus installation (varies, but budget $500). As previously mentioned, costs may vary depending on whether the pool pad is automated and whether a SWG controller is already installed.
NO kidding I bought mine for $1,298 in Feb and saw it on sale now for $1,698

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.