Pebble Tec Problem Advice

A122

Oct 10, 2022
Harrisburg, PA
We installed a pool starting last fall;this was our first season using it. The Pebble Tec application was mottled and didn’t improve over time and so the pool was drained to acid wash to correct the mottled coloring, acid wash deemed ineffective and Pebble Tec certified group determined they would re-coat it and chisel along underside of tile to blend it to tile line. Our issue is this: without permission or discussion the plastering company took these samples (see photos) to send to lab for analysis. Is this normal? Do we need to be concerned about the integrity of the Gunite with this sample removal? One of these samples was 13 inches long, 5 inches tall and 2 3/4
inches deep. We are trying to gauge if this is a serious issue or not in terms of Gunite structure and integrity.

Attachments

• F36574D0-E1BE-414B-B714-388836ADB96B.jpeg
    F36574D0-E1BE-414B-B714-388836ADB96B.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 33
  • ADB363E5-1979-4760-AF7D-060EFAE0BB08.jpeg
    ADB363E5-1979-4760-AF7D-060EFAE0BB08.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 200B9ECB-2C84-434D-A240-E29C0C0C6E24.jpeg
    200B9ECB-2C84-434D-A240-E29C0C0C6E24.jpeg
    836.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
The PebbleTec samples did not damage the underlying gunite.

They should reform the step with some hydraulic cement before applying the new plaster. The gouge looks too deep to just fill with plaster.

@AQUA~HOLICS may have some thoughts.

In regards to your question about the integrity of the Gunite, from the pictures provided I can’t see any exposure of the rebar cage. That indicates the structure is not compromised in my opinion.
As stated above, hydraulic cement applied on to a rough surface completely clean of any debris will help ensure its bonding process.
What does concern me is the last picture, is that showing exposure of the Gunite? Products like that are not normally in a clean mix, I have seen rocks introduced into the mix when the sand is being being scooped up by the loader, this can weaken the mix depending on the strength of the rocks.

Thank you for these responses. I really appreciate it. The last picture is a photo of the shallow end corner. The depth of the sample there is very shallow (about an inch and a half). Would that make it less likely to be the Gunite? They look like rocks in the photo but it appears to just be different shading of the concrete ? Some of it is loose sand-like material. I’ll try sending another photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 20
No it’s not, rebound is specifically pointing out in the building code that it is not to be used and considered a by product.
Most common areas of reusing, steps and spas.
Lightly tap a hammer around the area and listen, rebound will give a hallow sound, where it’s solid the sound is much deeper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.