Pebble Sheen purchased, Stonescapes delivered

Not entirely the same issue but we had Pebblesheen contracted and selected Blue Granite. After 3+ weeks of rain delays, the Pebble applicator got so backed up I pushed the builder to look into alternative products. Ultimately I found a Stonescapes installer and went with Blue Tahoe. Color was exactly what we wanted and I give the installer an A- for install. It worked out for us and we got into our pool a month sooner. Also, I got a lot of add-ons at no charge due to the savings.

Next time, I'll go quartz. I'm not in love with with product, though brushing does help.

Not entirely the same issue but we had Pebblesheen contracted and selected Blue Granite. After 3+ weeks of rain delays, the Pebble applicator got so backed up I pushed the builder to look into alternative products. Ultimately I found a Stonescapes installer and went with Blue Tahoe. Color was exactly what we wanted and I give the installer an A- for install. It worked out for us and we got into our pool a month sooner. Also, I got a lot of add-ons at no charge due to the savings.

Next time, I'll go quartz. I'm not in love with with product, though brushing does help.
Thank you for the insight! We should hear soon as to the new time table. If it's too long we may reconsider and go with Stonescapes, but are just so disappointed in the PB that they allowed this to happen. We actually have a different word than "disappointed" , but you know what I mean.

Last edited:
@Kathleen2252 Yep, the contract literally says Pebble Sheen. It was the samples they gave us to consider and there has been no mention of any other option or contingency. The PB is actually not the one applying the pebble surface, it was a subcontractor who showed up at my home who told me if we wanted pebble sheen he was not certified for that brand. No fault of this applicator, it's the PB for scheduling and ordering from the wrong company. After texting with the PB today they said they use two Stonescapes sub contractors and one Pebble Sheen sub and blamed it on the same person in the office they always blame things on.

Unfortunately the PB stood in front of me a couple weeks ago and called the applicator to get a quote on abalone so he knew exactly which subcontractor he had scheduled to come to my home that that this person did not apply Pebble Sheen. The entire build has been like this and it's so exhausting. We are so close -- of course they still have to reposition the two pumps that they installed under a table in a way that makes them completely inaccessible to service weekly... or ever.

We hope this will be rectified, but it's a sad thing to have to stay on a builder this much to make sure they are delivering on what they promised.

Upon a sudden rush of research, it does seem that Stonescapes is priced cheaper, but on balance does anyone know generally how much so? 10% ? 40% ?

@setsailsoon I just looked at the contract, and there are no mention of substitutions.
That's good. Many contracts do have substitution rights by PB. This makes your leverage in the negotiation stronger. Sounds like you've had a tough time of it and I'm so sorry to hear that. If it was me, I'd document everything, even phone calls. You're close so at least the misery shouldn't last too much longer. Next question on the contract, do you have a retention of any kind in your payment terms? This holds out a percentage typically 10% that is not paid until PB obligations have been met. If the contract was written by his lawyer, it probably isn't there but it's worth looking. If you can document the difference in price for his substitutions you seem to have a valid claim. Won't every pay for the misery but may be at least something. Best way by far to settle matters like this is a negotiated settlement. If you can do that make sure to document it so he never can claim you underpaid. Also, make sure you get a release of liens before you make final payment if at all possible. I'm not an attorney. Just managed many, many construction contracts as small as yours and those worth billions.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

That's good. Many contracts do have substitution rights by PB. This makes your leverage in the negotiation stronger. Sounds like you've had a tough time of it and I'm so sorry to hear that. If it was me, I'd document everything, even phone calls. You're close so at least the misery shouldn't last too much longer. Next question on the contract, do you have a retention of any kind in your payment terms? This holds out a percentage typically 10% that is not paid until PB obligations have been met. If the contract was written by his lawyer, it probably isn't there but it's worth looking. If you can document the difference in price for his substitutions you seem to have a valid claim. Won't every pay for the misery but may be at least something. Best way by far to settle matters like this is a negotiated settlement. If you can do that make sure to document it so he never can claim you underpaid. Also, make sure you get a release of liens before you make final payment if at all possible. I'm not an attorney. Just managed many, many construction contracts as small as yours and those worth billions.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
Thanks so much, Chris -- this is great advice. We are so close to being finished, it killed us to send away the applicator but we knew it was the right thing to do. Luckily we have a long list of documentation via email and text messages so hopefully that helps... but at the same time we hope to never have to use it.

We are hoping to receive the last lein release this week for money the PB owes subcontractors. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't have much advise but I am also in Los Angeles, and I think around July our contractor mentioned specific colors were starting to be backordered for pebbletec. It helped us decide between dark and light, because light was out. Builder has now advised everything for pebbletec is pretty much back in stock if we wanted to revisit any of the colors but we are happy with our choice (Black Onyx). I actually love the Tahoe Blue color from Stonescapes, but our contractor specifically only uses pebbletec pebble sheen, and wouldn't even entertain another brand, so if the wrong brand shows up when we are ready I will be very surprised. Best of luck!

I don't have much advise but I am also in Los Angeles, and I think around July our contractor mentioned specific colors were starting to be backordered for pebbletec. It helped us decide between dark and light, because light was out. Builder has now advised everything for pebbletec is pretty much back in stock if we wanted to revisit any of the colors but we are happy with our choice (Black Onyx). I actually love the Tahoe Blue color from Stonescapes, but our contractor specifically only uses pebbletec pebble sheen, and wouldn't even entertain another brand, so if the wrong brand shows up when we are ready I will be very surprised. Best of luck!
Thanks so much for the information! We were able to hunt down a pebble tec installer and just got the pool filled. Pics soon!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.