Pebble finish startup...please help!!!

Ok, I just had pool store test water again after I put 2 pounds of alk increaser yesterday and left the pump running all night. I did notice that they are using taylor drops. I tracked my tf-100 kit and it will be here tomorrow. The pool store has my ph at 7.0 and alk at 40 now. I will put another 2 pounds of increaser in today and see what happens

Here is a link to the videos on the test kits: https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

PH test-hold it up in front of something white. I use a white plastic plate. A paper one will work. It makes the color matching easier.

TA-you will see the color "flash" as you add the drops. Keep going until the color stays changed then call it good.

CYA-GLANCE for the dot only! Do not look for it or you will end up seeing it. Pour to the first line (100) and GLANCE in the tube for the dot, IF you see the dot pour to the next line and GLANCE in. Keep doing this line by line until you do not see the dot at a GLANCE!

CYA-should be done outside on a sunny day. Stand with your back to the sun and hold the tube at your tummy in the shade of your body. Hold the tube with your pointer finger and thumb by the top of the tube.

I can't wait to see YOUR results!

Kim:kim:

Ok, so my kit came in today. The results are
alk-60
Ph-7.3
chl-5

This test was done with the tf100 kit...based on this information how do I look?

the pool had been filled for 12 days. I have brushed it every day. The water looks good and I have cleaned the cartridge filter.

can we go in the water? If we can go in the water, is the plaster still soft? Would my kids be ok to play in it?

thanks so much for your help

Ok thank you so much for your help...yes, it was nice to do the testing myself and know I was 100 % accurate. I know the water is safe. Do you think that by the kids being in the pool right now that they could damage the pebble finish at all? You know how kids jump around and such.

thanks,
jim

Jim, there are some PB that have it written into their start up guide these directions:

-When the water reaches the middle of the skimmer face-JUMP in and have fun!!!

I would not do it the first day just to be on the safe side but now?? oh yeah!! And I DO know kids as I am a Kindergarten teacher of 33 yrs! LOL

This thread was soooo informative! Our pebble tec has not been put in yet, but we are expecting the finish and water within a week! Having this intel in advance is everything...

PS. I just ordered the [h=1]Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C[/h]getting ready for day 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those are some fine numbers there! I am going to tweak on number a bit................cya of 35 we round up to 40. I forget why LOL but there is a good reason.

I am going to share a link with you: Pool School - Recommended Levels This will help you start learning all about how to care for your pool.

Here is another link to help you with the math aka knowing how much to add. It does all of the work for you: Pool Math I would go ahead and get the full version so you can start tracking your levels. This will really help you learn your pool's needs.

kim, what are your thoughts on weekly shocking the pool with liquid chlorine?

Once you finish Pool School and get the hang of what it teaches, you're going to be amazed at how great your pool is, and how easy it is to keep it that way.

Weekly shocking is perpetuated by (1) pool maintenance companies who only come once a week, and have to blast your pool with a ton of chlorine because once a week is not often enough to properly care for a pool's sanitation and (2) pool stores who have to sell you chemicals and products you don't need, just to stay in business, and their weekly "shock" products are a big revenue source for them.

Keep reading Pool School and all the links Kim gives you (she's great, isn't she?). Most people find that reading all of Pool School more than once helps a lot. They read it once, work on their pool a bit, then come back and read it again. That second time through (or even a third!) is when all the facts and figures really start to click.

Good luck with your pool!

Are you talking about tablets with stabilizer (CYA)? I don't use those, and wouldn't as you suggest, because, along with the chlorine, the tabs are going to be adding a little bit of CYA constantly, raising the total level of it in your pool. Which isn't a bad thing because you'll need more of it when you go SWG. But it means you'll have to keep track of the CYA that's being added, or test for it every few days, or maybe once a week, and adjust the FC level up as the CYA level rises. Which is doable, but kind of a pain. Have you read yet about the FC/CYA relationship? You have to maintain that constantly and correctly, or you risk an algae outbreak. And you don't want that with new plaster. It's certainly fine to do it the way your suggesting, but I would find it much easier to just run the pool as a non-SWG pool, and use liquid chlorine/bleach until just before I'm ready to fire up the SWG, and add the CYA and salt in one go at that point. That way I could simplify my maintenance between now and SWG time. It's exactly how I did mine after my new plaster, and I only added salt and extra CYA a few weeks ago, when I was ready to start my SWG.

Kim will weigh in with her take on it. I'm only sharing how I did it.

- - - Updated - - -

I was assuming "chlorinator" meant SWG.

OK, my bad. I shouldn't have assumed you were talking about a SWG. I did so because nobody using the TFP method of pool care uses a tab feeder for long-term chlorine dispensing. The few that use one at all do so for very short term use, like when going away for a few days and there's no one to pour in liquid chlorine. Sorry Kim, back to you, for the explanations and instructions. Stand by Jim...

Jim, tablets have one of two things in them to "bind" them..........cya aka stablizer or calcium. Both of which are needed in a plaster pool BUT can get too high fast. Once they get too high you will have to drain some of the water and refill.

Here is a good starter link about TFP pool care: TFPC for Beginners Look for the part about FC and chlorine.

Me? I haul jugs. I have 4 2.5gal jugs I swing by my chlorine place with as needed (summer every 12 days, winter about once a month) to pick up fresh chlorine to add to my pool each late afternoon.

Dirk? He has a SWG. Here is a link to those: Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators I so want one of these but cannot get my husband past the word "salt" with us have an above ground pool. He knows he is being silly but........has asked me to not install one. One day....

I think it is a good idea to have the tablet tubes for times you want/need to use tablets as I really don't like floaters as they could get stuck on something and damage the plaster in that area.

Is all of this new info sinking in? Am I going too slow? Too fast? Just right? Let me know and I can adjust as needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.