Pea gravel in a sand filter?

My filter is a Hayward S360T2, 700 lb. sand unit. I have a pool maintenance company advising me to place 200 lb of Pea Gravel in before adding 11 more (50 lb.) sacks of glass or sand media. Does anyone here think that is a good idea? The sales rep claims that "Having a layer of pea gravel at the bottom gives nice spacing around the laterals so the water has an easy pathway." I just spent several grueling hours vacuuming out the original sand, and cannot imagine being the poor guy trying to vacuum out pea gravel at some future date. Yur comments would be appreciated.

The sales rep claims that "Having a layer of pea gravel at the bottom gives nice spacing around the laterals so the water has an easy pathway.
Welcome! :wave: One of the few times a salesman got it right. In addition, it relieves some pressure off of the laterals from all that sand in such a large filter. If you can, consider rinsing the gravel before dumping it in. If you use it, as with anything else, add carefully as to not damage the laterals.

I appreciate this is probably no longer relevant to the OP but I was told by the manufacturer of my filter that if I was to go with glass media, I should take the recommended weight of sand and reduce it by 10/15%. This differed slightly from the bag of glass media that said "if you need 100kg of sand, replace with 80kg of glass media". My filter supplier also told me that with glass media, you don't need pea gravel. If you are unsure, contact your filter manufacturer and get them to confirm what your filter needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.