PB4 Booster Pump troubles....

Jun 3, 2012
I have a 5 year old Pb4 booster pump that stopped working. I checked the back and it spins freely. I replaced the capacitor and it now runs. However, it runs quieter than i remember and there is no water coming out of the jet where i connect the cleaner. Any ideas on the next step to troubleshoot for any clogs? or is the pump motor the issue? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Peter

The impeller may have broken off the motor shaft. You would need to remove the motor from the pump to confirm.

impeller is fine after taking off six bolts and confirming it is spinning with shaft. I also looked in the volute and no obstructions.

However, it is easier to spin than a new pump. and it makes a squealing noise when i rotate. is that indicative of a bad motor?

Usually bad bearings. But can you run the motor without the wet end and confirm the impeller is actually spinning?

i can turn it on temporarily Check. Now it just blows the fuse...

Replaced the cap with 125-149mfd and 125vac

The original was 165vac

Would that cause the breaker to flip?

Last edited:
If the capacitor shorted out perhaps. Did you test the old capacitor or just assume it was bad. The problem could be with seized bearings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.