Champaign, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I am from an area in Illinois where there are not a lot of inground pools. We are having one installed in May. We were hoping for a freeform pool with an auto cover and pavers for coping and a paver patio to go with our existing paver patio. I am struggling to find a landscaper that has ever placed pavers for coping around a freeform pool, everyone including the pool builder is recommending concrete for 12 inches for the coping and then starting pavers. Has anyone done Pavers for coping with an auto cover on a freeform pool? Is it difficult? The auto cover will be flush track. I have seen pictures of this online so I feel it has to be possible although I’m not certain I want someone doing it on my pool for the first time. Any advice is appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! I don't have any experience installing pavers. What I do have is experience researching coping that is not poured concrete. I have been looking at Artistic Pavers out of Arizona. They have a east coast factory and a west coast factory. Their website might give you installers in your area. Something to look at.

When you say flush track, do you mean the track will be up on the deck creating an external rectangle around the pool?

It makes no difference what type of coping you have to make it work technically. However, with pavers and their joints every 4" or so, there will be more sources for wear on the underside of the cover versus a something like a precast concrete of 24" or poured concrete that will have no joints. Though a blower is often installed on autocovers with deck flush mount covers. This provides a source of lift for the cover while the cover is being opened or close, thus reducing the friction from the deck surface.

A lack of pool subs in your area certainly could make finding the right folks harder. Our sub in MD was X Coping and Tile Company. Surprising a PB can't find that contact. And yes, I would not want someone with no experience installing pavers as coping on my pool either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.