Patio, Koi Pond & Outdoor Kitchen Build in Houston

@pooldv
Thanks! I can't wait to get started.

@rodog123
Dough recipe I use is for classic Napoletana. I've been mostly happy with it.

Ingredients

By Weight
500gr Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour
325gr water (65% hydration)
10gr salt
3gr active dry yeast (bloomed for 10 minutes in 110(f) water from above with a splash of sugar)

Mix the dough in a stand mixer, by hand or in a bread machine. If you are using a stand mixer, mix it slowly for two minutes, faster for 5 minutes, and slow again for 2 minutes.

Cover the dough and let it rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until double. Punch it down and push out the air bubbles. Form the dough into a large ball, then cut it into three 275gr equal pieces.

Regards,
plat.

@cwescapexlt4x4
Thanks!!

@chris fox
2 reasons.

1. Specific to me, I only had this 8x8 space I felt was reasonable to dedicate to the pond. In retrospect, I wish I had gone 8x12, but isn't that the case with everything? As-is, it's a very good visual balance in the patio, so I should just be happy. Regardless, so with 8x8 (8x8.5' to be exact), every additional foot gave me another 500 gallons of volume roughly, so by going to 6' instead of 4', I got another 1000 gallons. Water quality is really important to koi health and more volume per fish slows down chemistry changes that could otherwise get out of hand quickly. The general rule of thumb is 300 - 500 gallons per koi. The bigger the fish, the higher that ratio goes. It also depends on your filtration, etc... In the end, that extra 1000 gallons meant I could get a couple more and/or larger fish.

2. The thinking in the koi world is that deeper ponds help with koi growth and health because they have to work more to change depths. Nature has tuned them into a fairly low-drag form, so scooting around a pond is really not much exercise for them. Changing depth however requires a bit more effort.

The heat is not really an issue here. In fact if anything it helps extend the "growing season" when you can really try to bulk up the fish and get them to grow by feeding heavily when your water temp is in that 70(f) to 80(f) sweet spot. The extra volume does help slow any rapid temperature changes which is a plus. You see ponds all over here though that are as little as 2' and in direct sun. I am sure they get up into the high 90(f)'s in July/August which is past the upper healthy temperature limits. Those fish survive just fine though anyway. This pond is 100% out of direct sunlight in the summer. Autumn - Spring it does get some direct sunlight when the sun is far enough south in the sky to shine in under the roof.

Thanks!
plat.

Thank you!!

Yes, the pond is my "zen" area. As long as it's not cold (mid Dec - Feb in Houston normally), I am out there 2-5 times a day (I work from a home office) to just sit a little while, relax and feed the fish who now all come up to beg for food and eat out of my hand.

plat.

So here is something that is kind of fun. I had our security camera set during the beginning of construction to take a snapshot every 15 minutes from about 7am until 7pm. I strung all of these together as a time-lapse. The quality is not super great, but it does show how things happened. The time covered is August 22 through December 10 and is made up of approximately 3300 individual photos.

http://vid1380.photobucket.com/albu... Time Lapse Project Full - SD_zpswzqckbjf.mp4

You might notice at 1:03 the angle changes and it jumps a bit. They had to take the camera down for a few days when they did the ceiling and it move a bit when it was remounted.

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where did you purchase the wood fire grill that can be raised and lowered? I've been looking all over for that.

Sorry for the late response, I've been busy and not able to check in for a while....

I had it custom built. NorCal Ovenworks did it. Very good experience with them. They have preset designs that you can tweak as needed.

@everyone else, thanks!!! The patio has given us such a great living and entertaining area. We're so happy we pulled the trigger and did it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.