Parging and coping. Owner / builder in Tampa

JustinTampa

Apr 27, 2022
Tampa
Hello. I’ve been putting together an owner / builder concrete pool in Tampa, Florida. Currently have the concrete shell, plumbing and electrical done. Next, I believe I need to parge and do the coping. From what I understand, parging is leveling out the rim with a “parging mix” so the coping is all level. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I see some people actually build another form for parging which seems drastic. Couldn’t really find anything on YouTube.

Welcome to TFP.

I think masons just use a layer of Type S mortar to embed the coping stones at the desired level. The mortar thickness is adjusted for any variances in the bond beam.

How much of a variance do you have in the level of your bond beam?

What you describe is a "float" layer, which if your beam form was level, can't see why you would need. It's done from what I've seem by mine and others as ajw22 mentions, just mortar down of coping with leveling of coping stones to each other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.