Paramount Water Valve

Jul 13, 2017
Ocoee
Had a ton of help in another thread thanks to a couple of patient folk. Come to find out my issues were with a Paramount 6 port valve. I got it working. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? So far I gather it doesn't work at low RPMs. If I don't want to use it can I just take the module out? (The water pressure for the returns drops pretty low) I'm just wondering what my options are as I'm trying to figure out how this should be operating. I have an inground pool with a Pentair VSP. I know I need to update my signature. Hopefully I can get that done this weekend

As you stated the Paramount distributor doesn't work at low pressures. It's designed to operate at fairly high pressure to ensure that the heads pop up correctly.

You can remove the innards of the distributor and then water will flow through all the ports at once (or at least try to). If you remove the gear train from the distributor, you really need to remove the heads in the pool (or at least the ones of them that you want to return water to the pool.

The best situation would be if your pool has wall returns, to bypass the Paramount and only use the wall returns.

As you stated the Paramount distributor doesn't work at low pressures. It's designed to operate at fairly high pressure to ensure that the heads pop up correctly.

You can remove the innards of the distributor and then water will flow through all the ports at once (or at least try to). If you remove the gear train from the distributor, you really need to remove the heads in the pool (or at least the ones of them that you want to return water to the pool.

The best situation would be if your pool has wall returns, to bypass the Paramount and only use the wall returns.
There are wall returns. There's 4 in the pool 1 to the left of the water feature. 2 to the right and one same side of the skimmer. Plus there's 2 in the spa. I'll provide pictures. They are in odd spacing and I'm afraid I won't get proper circulation back to the drains as the side of the pool where the skimmer is there's only the one return.
With that being said could I just remove the canister, replumb the returns to have all of them on including the floors all the time with good return pressure? Or do you think I could get by with just the walls. My concern is debris getting stuck on the sides since there's nothing really there to move water away from the walls
f0882ddc899b64d2350b4e425ed09b37.jpg
055d1245151f6d68c5be6cffb917406c.jpg
89d20148dade54d6456ca890b0272844.jpg

Actually those wall returns look to be in very good locations for circulation. I'd bypass the infloor system and play with adjusting the eyeballs and see how good a job they do keeping the pool skimmed.
Ok. Well the problem is the wall returns seem to be tied into the Paramount. So I would have to complete remove and replumb. Which I'm ok with! I just want to have a good game plan when I go to do this so I'm not turning a small job into a big one. With the pop offs disabled wouldn't stuff grow in there?

Do you have the plumbing drawing from when the system was installed? Paramount requires one for every system. That will let us know how it should be installed and we should be able to figure out the best course of action for you.

At this time, I'd leave the heads in place and remove the gearset and see what kind of flows you get out of each wall and floor return.

Do you have the plumbing drawing from when the system was installed? Paramount requires one for every system. That will let us know how it should be installed and we should be able to figure out the best course of action for you.

At this time, I'd leave the heads in place and remove the gearset and see what kind of flows you get out of each wall and floor return.
I'm assuming you mean to remove module and unscrew the round top part with the gears?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a different in-floor cleaner (Caretaker) and run it with a VSP. I like the benefit of being able to clean at higher speeds when I want, and run at lower speed when I don't need the floor sweep action.

I mostly run the VSP at lower speeds for day-to-day skimming and filtering. The Caretaker valve still rotates at lower pump speed, with the added benefit of spreading out water distribution. This is nice when I am heating the pool from the floor up.

I periodically run the VSP at higher speeds when I want the pop-ups to lift the whole way and get full coverage from their nozzle sprays. This is not an every-day need in my area.

I have a different in-floor cleaner (Caretaker) and run it with a VSP. I like the benefit of being able to clean at higher speeds when I want, and run at lower speed when I don't need the floor sweep action.

I mostly run the VSP at lower speeds for day-to-day skimming and filtering. The Caretaker valve still rotates at lower pump speed, with the added benefit of spreading out water distribution. This is nice when I am heating the pool from the floor up.

I periodically run the VSP at higher speeds when I want the pop-ups to lift the whole way and get full coverage from their nozzle sprays. This is not an every-day need in my area.
I have an enclosure over the pool so at some point I won't need it either. The problem for me at least is both the pop up floor and wall return flow through this. So if it's not rotating then I'm only getting water return through the spa which overflows into the pool. I don't think this is ideal but I don't have experience with any of this as it's my 2nd pool. In my mind I should be getting water return through the walls if the pump is low. I can schedule the pump to run high enough to turn the floors on for an hour a day if need be. I guess I'm just used to my old pool the had a single speed 1hp pump. 1 skimmer. 2 drains and 4 returns. Was simple to run and the pool always looked properly filtered. This one always has debris floating at the top

Does the Paramount valve really stop rotating below some pressure? Sorry, I don't know the system. My Caretaker still rotates well below the spec'd cleaning pressure (e.g. rotates at 8psi when spec'd to clean at 15-19psi).

Also, wondering if your pool wall returns are plumbed to one or more of the Paramount ports. In that case, you would see some on/off action at the wall returns as the Paramount valve rotates through this station(s). There was another pool on here recently that was plumbed that way with a different floor system.

Does the Paramount valve really stop rotating below some pressure? Sorry, I don't know the system. My Caretaker still rotates well below the spec'd cleaning pressure (e.g. rotates at 8psi when spec'd to clean at 15-19psi).

Also, wondering if your pool wall returns are plumbed to one or more of the Paramount ports. In that case, you would see some on/off action at the wall returns as the Paramount valve rotates through this station(s). There was another pool on here recently that was plumbed that way with a different floor system.
I haven't narrowed down what pressure it stops working yet. The wall returns are be plumbed to one port. I rana hose through it today to see where it all went... I guess my only real option until I come up with a game plan is to run the pump high enough to have everything working on a schedule for now.

Yea, that does kind of stink that you only get wall return action 1/6th (or 2/6ths?) of the time, and maybe only enough action for the surface skimming at higher pump speeds.

I'm sure you thought of this, but if you have any water features, they could help move the surface water. Your spa spillover might be an option. I run our sheer descents when the surface looks a little more dusty than I like. Of course, the downside is the aeration and subsequent effect to my pH. I have to balance those 2 concerns.

You can also point your wall return eyeballs toward the surface so they better move the top of the water. Even if it's only 1/6th of the time, that's better than pointing them down and getting much less surface action.

Last edited:
I have a Paramount water valve and mine runs when my VS pump is at about 1800. It cycles through all 6 ports at that speed and my cleaning heads pop up.... granted I use above 3000 RPM for my cleaning cycle. Sorry if this was answered, but what rpm's is your pump putting out that's not activating the valve?

I've seen systems where the wall returns are plumbed into one or two of the branches. One thing you can do is remove the gearing and block the module at the return that has the wall returns plumbed into it and that'll keep water flowing from the wall returns all the time. That's not an ideal solution, but it would work somewhat.

The best solution would be to disconnect the wall returns from the distributor and plumb them to the pump with a 3-way valve. Then you could bypass the Paramount system and just run the wall returns. Then you could run the paramount system whenever you wanted to.

I have a Paramount water valve and mine runs when my VS pump is at about 1800. It cycles through all 6 ports at that speed and my cleaning heads pop up.... granted I use above 3000 RPM for my cleaning cycle. Sorry if this was answered, but what rpm's is your pump putting out that's not activating the valve?
Thanks! I haven't really pinpointed when it stops. I've just figured out this pools system the last couple days... On a side note how hard is it to change out the heads...I have 2 that seen broken. I swear they pop up sometimes but not always

I've seen systems where the wall returns are plumbed into one or two of the branches. One thing you can do is remove the gearing and block the module at the return that has the wall returns plumbed into it and that'll keep water flowing from the wall returns all the time. That's not an ideal solution, but it would work somewhat.

The best solution would be to disconnect the wall returns from the distributor and plumb them to the pump with a 3-way valve. Then you could bypass the Paramount system and just run the wall returns. Then you could run the paramount system whenever you wanted to.
Thanks! I was thinking this! Id have some digging to do! I looked for paperwork and found some as the previous homeowners left it's everything they had. Unfortunately no blue prints... Only owners manual...I'll check my house paperwork to

Thanks! I haven't really pinpointed when it stops. I've just figured out this pools system the last couple days... On a side note how hard is it to change out the heads...I have 2 that seen broken. I swear they pop up sometimes but not always

Easy to pop them out. There is a tool ( Paramount Large Nozzle Tool - Plastic (PCC2000/Vantage/Vanquish) ) that makes it easy to pull them out. I have heads that stick up sometimes and they just need to be pulled out and then placed back in... this is due to debris getting into them. Just note that the link I provided may not be to your correct heads, but just to give you an idea of the tool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.