Paramount pop up leak

May 17, 2013
I've done extensive google and forum searching, but can't find a specific answer. My Paramount 6 port water valve has required frequent oring replacement. It seems every time I open the lid, I have to replace to oring. That means at least once a year. Had a tech by to replace a pump motor (warranty), and he placed a new oring on it yesterday. Checking the pool today, the in ground pop ups have not been working. What can I say, my paramount valve is a little old and needs some persuasion to work properly. So I opened up the paramount canister, turned the gear slightly, and attempted to close the canister. My oring is stretched again. Can't get a good seal, because the oring will no longer fit in the groove. I'm going to buy another oring today, and also some new pressure gauges, as the gauge on my paramount and on my multiport are not functioning anymore. I guess the pressure could be too high. Anyone else have similar experiences? Anything I should try?

Update... looks like this failure was due to the gears not being fully seated. The gap was too much for the oring, which probably caused it to stretch out. I understand my dumb mistake, but figured the repair tech would've caught that. The lid clamp would barely have 2 threads showing for the screw handle. Usually it's a good 1-1.5 inch showing. I would have caught that when installing the oring, but trusted the repair guy to do it right. This is why I diy. I Fully seated the gears, and the lid closed much easier. Hopefully the oring will last. the advice for lube is solid advice. I always lube orings to prevent shearing/tearing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.