Palaro's filter canister cracked, on the verge of catastrophic failure

Jul 24, 2016
Vacaville CA.
My Pentair filter canister CCP 420 has a crack and leaking water. I think it's about 14 years old. Obviously needs to be replaced ASAP but meanwhile's is there something I can do as a temporary patch on the interior so the thing doesn't blow up on me.
48e97dbb965a60bdaee6a5f63625c22b.jpg
7a2fd6b3adac20b30b9546fbc914f384.jpg

Nope. Kill the circuit breaker to the pump. If that thing lets go, people could get hurt. Ever hear the boom at a tire store when someone is mounting a tire on a wheel? That's usually only 5-10 psi. Your filter probably runs higher pressure than that.

Keep the FC up and mix it by brushing until a new filter is installed. A wall whale brush works really good for that.

Nope. Kill the circuit breaker to the pump. If that thing lets go, people could get hurt. Ever hear the boom at a tire store when someone is mounting a tire on a wheel? That's usually only 5-10 psi. Your filter probably runs higher pressure than that.

Keep the FC up and mix it by brushing until a new filter is installed. A wall whale brush works really good for that.

OK, thanks. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I do have a wall whale brush. Looks like it's going to take about nine days to arrive due to the holiday weekend.

Their would have been a few good ways to patch it and make it safe again.. but since u have already ordered one the time and effort involved is not worth it at this point. also it takes way more to bead a tire than 10psi..

Their would have been a few good ways to patch it and make it safe again.. but since u have already ordered one the time and effort involved is not worth it at this point. also it takes way more to bead a tire than 10psi..

How would you patch the crack to make it safe?

The problem is that it’s a structural defect. Even if you can patch sufficient to stop the leak, it doesn’t address the structural defect.

In addition, the crack indicates that the entire body is probably weak and has unacceptable structural integrity.

The filter is under pressure and a crack can propagate at any time to result in catastrophic failure.

There's really no way to patch a cracked filter. You could reglass the entire body but then the band clamp wouldn't fit.

You could build a form around the filter with about 1 foot of clearance and then fill with concrete or epoxy, but that's not a practical solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A pool filter casing is a pressure vessel. We do not recommend anyone try to repair any pressure vessel with a structural defect. To do so is inherently dangerous.

Thanks for the input on this. I think ordering a new one is best. The canister is about 17 years old so I think it's due. I am hoping to swap the unit out without having to cut into the plumbing by disconnecting at the threaded unions. What do you think?

I have a 3 year old CCP420 and it looks pretty much the same; if those were 2" fittings I would hope you will be able to just drop the new one in place; here's mine:

IMG_20170703_110852258_HDR.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.