New Rochelle, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Well, After 2 1/2 seasons our PAL lights have some big issues. We have four PAL Treo 4 wire 12 volt lights (Model #: 2T4). The are connected to two PAL 12 volt Driver / Receivers (2 lights on each) (Model #: PCR-2D-35). The drivers are connected to automation and we do not use the wireless remotes that came with the drivers. Instead, we use the Intellicenter app. All 4 lights are getting dim, and as of yesterday one of the drivers died. I took a multimeter to the power wires on the dead driver and was getting 118 volts, so it is getting power. Inside the dead driver there is a power LED which is not illuminated, so I am confident it's a dead driver. The research I have done shows the 2T4 lights are nicheless. I am thinking of slowly starting to replace this equipment. Seems like the 2T4 lights are discontinued, and the PAL Treo Max lights are the current replacement. The Treo Max lights are duel rated for 12 or 24 volt DC. The PAL 12 volt Driver / Receivers are currently hard to come by so when I replace them I will go 24 volts. Here are my questions.
1 - The lights seem to be replaceable with both the 2T4 and the Treo Max (without replacing the plug or cable). Both are 4 wire lights. Do you think I could just unplug the old 2T4's and plug in the new Treo Max on the same wire (thus not having to pull a new wire). (See link to brochure https://pallighting.com/brochure-files/PALTreoMax.pdf )
2 - Does the water in the pool need to be drained below the lights to do the replacement of nicheless lights? (I have a fiberglass pool and I am not crazy about that idea.)
3 - I noticed with Pool LED lights some are 2 wire and some are 4, how do they differ?

Thanks everyone.

Good morning! Hope the Canadian fires & smoke aren't too disruptive in your area. I wanted to follow-up with you since there were no replies. Did you find answers to your questions? If not, please let us know. I have a POC or two I can try to tag. Maybe they will have some field experience.

Good morning! Hope the Canadian fires & smoke aren't too disruptive in your area. I wanted to follow-up with you since there were no replies. Did you find answers to your questions? If not, please let us know. I have a POC or two I can try to tag. Maybe they will have some field experience.
Hi Tex.
I actually spoke with someone at PAL regarding these issues. He seems to think the the bulb going dim was not a failure of the lights but of the driver / transformers. He seems to think the lights should glow fine if I replaced just the transformers. As my post states one transformer has already died. He also told me the cable for the 2T4 was not compatible with the new Treo Max lights.
He then told me that he had transformers in stock that was "customized" to 12 volts and if I wanted, I could order them directly from him. He told me to shoot him an e-mail with my info if I was interested and he will reply with an invoice. I really wanted to avoid pulling new lights (and the expense of 4 of them) so literally 10 minutes later I e-mail him requesting an invoice and preferred method of payment. Unfortunately this was the last time I heard from him. (I sent 2 emails and called him again and left a voicemail). I did find a newer model PAL 12 volt transformer online and ordered it. It is 60 watts and should drive all my lights.
Even if a new transformer does solve my immediate issue, I feel pretty confident that I will be replacing all the lights sometime in the future. Therefore, if I could get some insight to the questions I asked in the original post it would be most helpful.

Thanks.
Mark McLeroy

Reactions: Texas Splash
Hi Tex.
I actually spoke with someone at PAL regarding these issues. He seems to think the the bulb going dim was not a failure of the lights but of the driver / transformers. He seems to think the lights should glow fine if I replaced just the transformers. As my post states one transformer has already died. He also told me the cable for the 2T4 was not compatible with the new Treo Max lights.
He then told me that he had transformers in stock that was "customized" to 12 volts and if I wanted, I could order them directly from him. He told me to shoot him an e-mail with my info if I was interested and he will reply with an invoice. I really wanted to avoid pulling new lights (and the expense of 4 of them) so literally 10 minutes later I e-mail him requesting an invoice and preferred method of payment. Unfortunately this was the last time I heard from him. (I sent 2 emails and called him again and left a voicemail). I did find a newer model PAL 12 volt transformer online and ordered it. It is 60 watts and should drive all my lights.
Even if a new transformer does solve my immediate issue, I feel pretty confident that I will be replacing all the lights sometime in the future. Therefore, if I could get some insight to the questions I asked in the original post it would be most helpful.

Thanks.
Mark McLeroy
Hi Mark,

I’ve gone through the same steps as you with the type of driver 2d-35 and technical support with no help. Since ordering a new transformer with 60 watts, are your pool lights now working? I’m looking at purchasing the same. I appreciate your feedback!

Hi Mark,

I’ve gone through the same steps as you with the type of driver 2d-35 and technical support with no help. Since ordering a new transformer with 60 watts, are your pool lights now working? I’m looking at purchasing the same. I appreciate your feedback!
LOL. The transformer is still sitting in the box. I have been on vacation and enjoying the pool too much to take on the project. I am hoping to get it done in a few days and I will let you know how I made out. Sorry for the delay.

Mark McLeroy

Reactions: MrsEssBe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.