Painting a Pool and Keeping the Water Out.

Sep 13, 2018
Moorestown
Going to paint my pool this summer. Last time I painted my pool a pool company fixed some loose concrete around my main drain. I remember when he removed the pressure plug in the main drain he screwed in about a 4ft piece of pvc where he unscrewed the plug. He said this will keep the ground water out while you paint. Is that a safe method to help with the ground water pressure? Also what size fitting would I get to screw into the main drain mist likely? Thanks

Do you find painting it every few years, along with the appearance of paint preferable over a new plaster job? What I've read here on TFP is how the paints currently made aren't very good for pools like in years past. Is a plaster job entirely out of reach?

As for the pressure plug.... how's your ground water in the yard? High? Low? I'd check that out first by digging in the yard a hole as deep as your deep end, and see if you hit water. Remember that ground water pressure on an empty pool shell can cause it to lift up and "float" which is a pool disaster.

What the pool repair guy did sounds like a good idea but its going to be guess work as to the external size of the pipe needed to insert in the plug. Measure tje internals of the plug and go searching at the hardware store for a close fit.

Maddie :flower:

Do you find painting it every few years, along with the appearance of paint preferable over a new plaster job? What I've read here on TFP is how the paints currently made aren't very good for pools like in years past. Is a plaster job entirely out of reach?

As for the pressure plug.... how's your ground water in the yard? High? Low? I'd check that out first by digging in the yard a hole as deep as your deep end, and see if you hit water. Remember that ground water pressure on an empty pool shell can cause it to lift up and "float" which is a pool disaster.

What the pool repair guy did sounds like a good idea but its going to be guess work as to the external size of the pipe needed to insert in the plug. Measure tje internals of the plug and go searching at the hardware store for a close fit.

Maddie :flower:
Its about $6000 to replaster my pool and costs me about $600 to paint it. I used Smartseal from Leslies the first 2 times I painted it and got 5 years out of it each time. This last time I tried a different company, which I should have known better, and after a year the paint blistered. So besides the elbow grease painting it financially is best for me and it looks great when done. I am going back to the smartseal this year.

Its about $6000 to replaster my pool and costs me about $600 to paint it. I used Smartseal from Leslies the first 2 times I painted it and got 5 years out of it each time. This last time I tried a different company, which I should have known better, and after a year the paint blistered. So besides the elbow grease painting it financially is best for me and it looks great when done. I am going back to the smartseal this year.
And I did get an %80 refund from the last company I used.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I used Smartseal from Leslies the first 2 times I painted it and got 5 years out of it each time. This last time I tried a different company, which I should have known better, and after a year the paint blistered
While the new kind may also be inferior to the old kind, *ALL* the kinds have been stripped of all the harsh VOC chemicals that made them last, even as recently as a few (2-3) years ago. If you used to get 5 years you are now considered lucky if you get 2 years.

But I also get the $6k part so I’m not pointing fingers, just helping you understand what to expect.:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.