Painted Brushed Concrete Durability

joshw

Nov 17, 2018
Austin, TX
We're at the tail end of a new pool build in Austin, TX, and everything is finished except for the patio. For the patio, we knew the whole time that we wanted to just do a painted brushed concrete finish, rather than a spray deck like KoolDeck, etc. Despite making this clear to the pool builder, I got home from work last week to find that KoolDeck had been applied on top of the brushed concrete. I immediately called my pool builder and he said that they would still be able to apply a layer of KoolDeck but brush it so its the same finish as regular concrete. After calling a couple of contractors, he called me back and said that actually that one contractor told him it wasn't possible and another said that he would do it but it wouldn't be covered under warranty because the paint and KoolDeck would likely chip. After going back and forth about the options for several days, he said that they should be able to scrape off the KoolDeck and just paint the concrete directly without it chipping. But after calling a couple contractors again, he said that likely won't be possible and would still have the same chipping issue.

Does painted brushed concrete have issues with durability and chipping? Searching through the forums here I haven't seen any complaints about it, and I've seen good-looking colored brushed concrete at other pools in friends' apartments, etc. We really would like just colored brushed concrete, but we don't want to deal with it chipping immediately.

Unfortunately painted concrete is prone to the paint lifting from the concrete. Especially in ground contacting concrete applications.

Unless you just absolutely can't live with the Kool-Deck I would leave it on there. It's a good coating for concrete decks, and it does help with absorbed heat, where paint doesn't

My experience is that concrete paint will usually chip and flake. It doesn't take long either. If you have a spot that gets constantly wet then it will happen in less then a year. It's why you see curbs and poles having to be painted pretty frequently. Concrete stain is much better but that isn't an option on concrete that has been treated. Your best bet would be to stick with the Kool Deck and get some sort of financial compensation back from the PB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.