Paint exposed panels for heat?

Northrider

Bronze Supporter
Sep 21, 2018
Wausau WI
Been putting some though into either painting or a wrapping some of the south facing panels on our above ground to boost the heat. Besides the cosmetics, any reason this can't be done? Only logical thing I can come up with is may get to hot for the liner? Has it been tried?

Been putting some though into either painting or a wrapping some of the south facing panels on our above ground to boost the heat. Besides the cosmetics, any reason this can't be done? Only logical thing I can come up with is may get to hot for the liner? Has it been tried?
yes maybe a dark blue etc... Like the idea of a vinyl wrap to stick on the side panels

Reactions: Texas Splash
I could imagine the steel walls getting a bit warmer as they absorb and transfer some heat, but not so hot that they could damage the liner. Perhaps some other AGP owners will have some personal experience to share to help confirm your concerns one way or the other.

Should be fine, you probably won't get much heat transfer as every material takes a hit on efficiency.

Every efficiency number is probably way over estimated and I'm probably missed some things too.
Sun 100%

Black paint 90%
Wall paint 80%
Steel 80%
Liner 50%
28.8 % of the sun gets to heat the water. The money would be better spent on buying some panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.