PAGirls New Sand Filter Saga

PAGirl

TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2012
Central PA
My Intex sand filter died at the end of September last year. Over the winter I ordered a new filter and pump. I decided my meager budget (hubby had car and garage project going on) only allowed me to purchase another Intex brand. I patiently waited for them to drop in price and placed my order at the end of January. The shipping box then sat on the porch until early May. Much to my surprise, the new filter was twice the size of the old one. (Given the price was only marginally more than what I paid 5 years ago, I didn't expect it to be much bigger, and their descriptions don't seem to be very detailed.) pour first bag of sand and realize we don't have enough sand. Set top on to keep dirt and bugs out. Go to get more sand, to come back and realize someone had decided to look inside and the laterals are on top of the sand. Grr. Make son who looked inside dump out the 50#, reinstall the laterals, grab second bag, start pouring it in, WAIT, that sand is way too fine for pool sand. (Says it is correct, obviously it isn't.) scoop out as much as I can and head back to find more. Walmart "Where is your pool filter sand?" Worker "the sand is outside, the pools are upfront, and the filters are that way...." OMG, really? Had to head to the pool store. 2 bags there cost as much as 3 anywhere else. Gotta have it though.
Hooked it up Nd started my SLAM. Green to cloudy blue in 2 days, YAY! Kept slamming, small improvements each day. Then...... Stalled. 2 weeks, little improvement. Something must be wrong. Hubby says my methods aren't working. Great. No, something's not right. Small vacation, no time to check, a,d lots of rain. Another week went by. Finally, a chance to take the top off and look inside...... We are short about 4" of sand, eureka! Still had half a bag left, thank goodness.
1 week later, we were what I call public pool clear. 4 more days, my sparkle is almost back!

Moral of the story, if your SLAM stalls, look inside the filter, sooner, rather than later, and trust your instincts.
The good news, the pool cleared up just in time for the hot weather.
A few pics:

From green to cloudy blue, last two are after the filter fix.

Finally clear:

Yeah. Filtration is key. While a cloudy/green pool requires chemistry to fix it on the front end, its filtration that is key on the tail end and gets a pool to point of passing out of the SLAM. You'll never clear a cloudy pool if the filter is not working right. This is one reason why, when people get stalled in their SLAMs and their being diligent with chemical additions and testing, my gut reaction is their filter needs to be clean, i.e., NOT backwashed.

Pool looks real nice, congrats on sticking with it and not listening to the nay-sayers...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.