Owner-built pool build

I also had difficulty sourcing. I used a couple of apps to do so, here's the final playlist:
EquipmentSupplierCost
Pool lightFlorida Sunseeker$508
Spa lightFlorida Sunseeker$497
Pentair CCP520 filterFB Marketplace (used)$400
Flowvis FV-2Amazon$112
Pentair IntellifloAmazon$1802
Pentair IntellicenterFB Marketplace (NOS)$1081
IntelliChlor IC40FB Marketplace (used)$250
Pentair IntelliValveAZPoolSupplies.com$215/ea
Pentair 200k MasterTempAZPoolSupplies.com$2171
Air Supply Silencer (spa blower)FB Marketplace (NOS)$126

I didn't list the white goods, because they were generally easier to find. There were also way more options in white good suppliers (although, I used 95% CMP).
Thank you.

Tiling has started, which I'll be posting an update on once completed. But we've run into an issue.

In some areas, the spa venturi's are closer to inside wall - leaving only ~1/2" between the front of the niche and gunite wall. The venturi niche itself is ~2" long. Even at the shortest length, I would need to add nearly 2" to the gunite wall. Looking for ideas/advise.

Attachments

• Niche good.JPEG
    Niche good.JPEG
    495.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Niche space insufficient.JPEG
    Niche space insufficient.JPEG
    593.4 KB · Views: 38
I didn't take any pictures, but we fixed the spa. TL;DR: Installed metal lathe, and built-up mortar a few inches, then waterproofed again.

Timeline
  • Total = 2d
  • 1 day mortar
  • 1 day waterproof
Technical
  • Started with a string layout giving the minimum increase in wall thickness (the greatest build-up was about 2").
  • I cut-down the spa plumbing and installed the niche's, so we knew the min. final thickness.
  • Since we already waterproofed, we added metal lathe to give the new mortar something to grab. Ramset the lathe into the wall.
  • We then did a scratch coat of mortar.
  • We then began building up the mortar thickness moving from wall-to-wall until we got to the desired thickness on each wall.
  • After dried, we waterproofed. It turned out very nicely, and smoothed in quite well.
Costs
  • Total = $182
  • Metal lathe
  • 1" ramset fasteners w/ washers
  • Rapid-set mortar (up to $18/55lb bag!)
Lessons Learned/Comments
  • Don't make my mistake - double-check your spa plumbing dims after rebar is complete, prior to gunite.

Last edited:
Gas feeder was completed mid-March. I stubbed-up the outlet near the equipment pad, and capped the line.
Timeline
  • Total = 1d
Technical
  • I used a common trench for many utilities - my workshop subpanel feeder (2" conduit), pool heater gas feeder (1"), pool plumbing return loop (2"), and stormwater from my gutters (4"). I aimed for 32" depth and 6" wide, which put the important items (electrical and gas) well below 18" (to top of pipe).
  • These utilities can share a common trench, but if you run supply & sewage you must take different precautions.
  • IPS (plastic) pipe used for the majority of the ~75ft run. Heater required 1", and by my calcs I may be ever-so-slightly undersized (gamble).
  • The gas needs to be shut off, and allowed to evacuate, prior to work.
  • Tapped into an existing 1" main, and added a union. Converted to the IPS, and wrapped it in tracer wire. Leak-checked at 10psig for an hour - found a leak at an IPS fitting which had to be replaced. Repeated until no leaking.
  • Taped exposed metal portions with corrosion-preventative tape, inspected, backfilled. Left gas OFF until final heater connections.
Cost
  • Total = $459
  • 1" IPS pipe and fittings = $262
  • NG pipe dope, corrosion tape, tracer wire, and pressure gauge = $36
  • Black Iron fittings to connect to existing line = $161
Lessons Learned/Concerns
  • My pressure gauge leaked at a fitting that wasn't repairable. It took a long time to diagnose this failure, and I lost many hours doing leak-detection. There were no tell-tale signs of the failure. I had to build a replacement leak-tester last-minute.

Attachments

• 2 Tap.JPEG
    2 Tap.JPEG
    677.3 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: PieterS
I'm planning to self-build a pool in Houston. Here's some details. I'm looking for feedback, suggestions, advice - open conversation (at this point).
Pool Basics
  • 22" W x 25' L x 4-1/2' (water level) D Pool (actual 5' depth)
    • + 22'W x 14'L x 6" D tanning ledge
    • with a 8'x8' x 38"D infinity-edge spa
  • Gunite construction
  • Pool equipment pad will be added alongside a workshop expansion slab, about 10' from the pool
  • Planned build Jan '22-Jun '22
  • No decking on long sides of pool - I'll be putting astroturf.
  • The short edges will have wood patios. (this is the inspiration).
Pool Equipment
  • Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo 011056
  • Filter: Hayward W3C4030 Pentair CCP520
  • Heater: Hayward W3H200FDN Pentair MasterTemp 200k or 250k (depending on availability & price)
  • UV sanitizer: DeltaUV ES46
  • SWG: IntelliChlor IC40
  • Spa blower: Air Supply Silencer 1.5HP 240V
  • Automation: Pentair IntelliCenter i5PS w/ valve expansion 522038Z
  • (2) Bubblers: CMP Brilliant Wonders 4"
  • (2) Skimmers: Hayward SP1072S2
  • (2) Spa drains: Hayward 1053AVPAK2
  • (4) Pool returns, (1) Spa: CMP 25524-200-000
  • (8) Spa venturi's: CMP 25580-290-000
  • (1) Pool lights: Florida Sunseeker Pooltone Std Color, 12V 18W
  • (1) Spa light: Florida Sunseeker Pooltone Std Color Spa, 12V
No main drain.

The work I won't be doing myself ("what's contracted out"), and why
  • Structural engineering: required by Texas
  • Land & topographical survey: required for permitting
  • Private utilities location: I lack equipment
  • Plaster: I've always been frustrated by mudding drywall, and suspect this would be a similar frustration
  • Bricklaying (for pool bath): similar to plaster, I expect frustration
  • Slab pouring and smoothing: cheap enough
  • Rebar: cheap enough, and because I'll be racing the clock at that point
  • Gunite: I lack the tools and experience
(Actual) Timeline* and cost (last updated: 2/25)
  • TOTAL = 33.5d, $35,994
  • Overhead electrical moved underground = 35d, $3,311
  • Relocate DCW main line = 9d, $667
  • Site layout = 2d, $99
  • Permit = 17w, $4,592
  • Excavation = 3d, $10,191
  • Electrical rough-in = 1/2d, $248
  • Plumbing rough-in = 4d, $823
  • Rebar = 1/2d, $3,393
  • Gunite = 1d, $12,670
*NOTE: total timeline < summation, because many items happen in-parallel. This timeline indicates overall start-to-finish.
Did you final cost have the plaster and equipment cost in there? Post a final product photo if you dont mind. I would like to see your hard work completed!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.