Owner Build NW Las Vegas. ... Quartz installed ... Build completed

@JenniferMarie90 Yes, I/we have a pool cover. Really for safety reasons. My grandkids are most important and any other small children that may visit post pandemic. There have been posts here on TFP that speak about the additional benefits, i.e. lower percentage on the swcg, little debris getting into the pool. I'll have to figure out how long to uncover it each day. Currently, I have it covered at night.
Do you mind if I ask where in town you purchased that? I’m curious about pricing. I want to put solar covers on to keep the water warmer, but this looks even bette just not sure if it’s $$$

@JenniferMarie90 Here in Las Vegas there is only one authorized installer for Cover Pools, Aqua Safe Unlimited. For Cover Star, I received an estimate from an authorized installer based out of St. George. They both seemed very reputable for the auto cover install. I chose Aqua Safe b/c they are based here in Las Vegas.

@colleenbevans you asked how long it took me. Well, actually I timed myself. Not as bad as I thought, just 30 minutes. Now, if I wasn't timing it, I probably would have stopped a couple of times to grab something to drink. Walk around and look at something. So that why, I guess, I thought it took longer than it did. Thanks for asking, now I know.

@bmoreswim I actually looked through your build thread to check out your cover install. You've confirmed to me that I can really tune the IC60 percentage way down. I'll try 20% for 6 hours pump time.

How is your pH? Does it rise much? I bought an intellipH. I have read of the incompatibilities between it and the IC60. Haven't opened the box and might just return it to the distributor. If I am dosing acid in frequently what would be the point of struggling with the incompatibilities. I also will have to figure out how to use the chiller. Run it at night, I would assume.

I have a lot to learn about the automation that the TFP members have raved about and I had installed. Now it seems daunting. But I will just ask questions.

pH does rise moderately. I add about a quart a week to 10 days of MA. I see no need whatsoever for pH automation for my scenario. Testing is so easy it’s a complete non-issue.

Congrats on the build, everything looks great! I would, I will say I was concerned during my build about my water getting to hot but I have yet to have it over 86 degrees . Sometimes I even heat it a little in the summer to get it to 85 degrees because my pool will hover around 80-82 degrees.

Reactions: jetski559
@an1vrsry following your thread with great interest, we are in very early stages of planning a pool at our home near St George. At this point, leaning toward a salt water system, autocover, and built in spa. As climate here in StG is very similar to that in LV, i am very interested in hearing how important you find the chiller to be in the coming months, as there is definitely a difference of opinion both from your contractors as well as forum members. Great project, and thank you for sharing your journey. Now is the time to enjoy!

@an1vrsry following your thread with great interest, we are in very early stages of planning a pool at our home near St George. At this point, leaning toward a salt water system, autocover, and built in spa. As climate here in StG is very similar to that in LV, i am very interested in hearing how important you find the chiller to be in the coming months, as there is definitely a difference of opinion both from your contractors as well as forum members. Great project, and thank you for sharing your journey. Now is the time to enjoy!
I live in a similar climate as you and I would say it all comes down to budget. I’ve lived my whole life going to pools without them. There were times it would have been nice, especially when your BIL puts the solar cover on for the 4th of July party 😒, but not necessary. We didn’t put one in mainly because of budget. I’d actually never heard of one until this group. If the funds were there then it would have been a very nice extra. But if budget is tight, I would cut that.

Reactions: stevo777
@bmoreswim so far I haven't needed to put in much MA at all. After the initial fill I was well above pH 8+. It took 6 drops of acid demand reagent to get it down to 7.8. It took a gallon of 29% MA over the first couple of days to get down to I could confidently see that the pH was 8.0/7.8. Since then I have not had to add much at all. I haven't opened the box for the Intelli-pH so I will work with my designer and send it back to the distributor.

@Big Will your build thread inspired me. Before I moved here to LV, I knew if we bought a house without a pool we'd do an owner/builder. Following your thread and the other owner build threads here (@SinCityCJ) in LV was key to realizing, I could do it, too. And I did. Thank you

@stevo777 I keep posting about the chiller as time goes on. Just as @Nikilyn said, the contractors and members here haven't seen a need for it. However, I budgeted for it from the start and with an autocover and keeping the pool covered, the temps should rise when covered. I will definitely keep it covered at night so I'll miss out on evaporative cooling effect but I don't know what I don't know until it's time. If I don't need to use it, the Glacier Chiller can just sit there.

Reactions: bmoreswim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.