Owner Build NW Las Vegas. ... Quartz installed ... Build completed

Well, after a snow day this past Tuesday. The deck crew came back out to finish the sunken pavilion. What do you think? We used Artistic Pavers and turf around the pool instead of mastic. We had something called Sierra Blend for the sunken pavilion.

On to the Las Vegas City pre-plaster inspection and then schedule quartz. The plumber recommends another pressure test based upon the paver installation. When the paver crew set the string lines they pounded in some metal stakes. Although, I kept them, finger crossed, out of the way of the underground pvc pipes.

DeckCompleteN.jpg DeckCompleteS.jpg DeckCompleteS2.jpg DeckCompleteS3.jpg DeckCompleteS4.jpg DeckCompleteS5.jpg

Last edited:
@JenniferMarie90 an auto-cover can't hurt. Eventually the sun will deteriorate the cover but that should be a few years, at least. It will also stop evaporation rates when the cover is closed. It can limit SWG percentage when closed because there will be no UV burning off the generated chlorine. Most importantly for me, it is a horizontal fence over the pool so that my grandkids can't fall in.

If you plan to cover a pool during summer in our climate, be sure to get a chiller. Or your water temperature will get quite high.

What's interesting about the Glacier Chiller I had installed, is that not a single one of the sub contractors that saw it felt I'd need it. Especially, the plumbers who plumbed it in. I responded with I did not want to get into water that was 90+ degrees. I wasn't thinking that covering the pool would raise the temp. I was only thinking that the Las Vegas heat and direct sunlight was raising the temp not the cover.

What's interesting about the Glacier Chiller I had installed, is that not a single one of the sub contractors that saw it felt I'd need it. Especially, the plumbers who plumbed it in. I responded with I did not want to get into water that was 90+ degrees. I wasn't thinking that covering the pool would raise the temp. I was only thinking that the Las Vegas heat and direct sunlight was raising the temp not the cover.
Is it weird I actually want the water that warm lol

Covered you lose the evaporative cooling at night. Our pool does not go above 88F. Uncovered.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately, our scheduled quartz pool finish install was postponed due to winds here in Las Vegas. This is the second straight Saturday my project was pushed back. Last Saturday, Feb 20th, wasn’t windy, however, jobs during that week were delayed and forced everything back. This week has been fairly calm with no wind and I received an email yesterday to be ready to fill the pool when they finish.

Woke up this morning, all excited, and lo and behold there was a mild wind. Barely moving the new plants to and fro. Didn’t think much of it till 8:00 a.m. when no one was here setting up. Called their office. Of course, their voicemail message said business hours were M - F. Leave a message and we’ll get back to you, left message. Then sent email and someone replied hours later that they would get back to me on Monday.

Very sad, now. But Monday I’ll find out the new schedule date. Can’t wait to get this pool completed.

• Sad
Reactions: Nikilyn
Unfortunately, our scheduled quartz pool finish install was postponed due to winds here in Las Vegas. This is the second straight Saturday my project was pushed back. Last Saturday, Feb 20th, wasn’t windy, however, jobs during that week were delayed and forced everything back. This week has been fairly calm with no wind and I received an email yesterday to be ready to fill the pool when they finish.

Woke up this morning, all excited, and lo and behold there was a mild wind. Barely moving the new plants to and fro. Didn’t think much of it till 8:00 a.m. when no one was here setting up. Called their office. Of course, their voicemail message said business hours were M - F. Leave a message and we’ll get back to you, left message. Then sent email and someone replied hours later that they would get back to me on Monday.

Very sad, now. But Monday I’ll find out the new schedule date. Can’t wait to get this pool completed.
Honestly, it seems this is how most builds go. I'm not planning mine is going to go super smooth, that way I won't be surprised or mad when things like this happen. It's just sadly part of the program, but 5 years down the road it won't all matter.

I hear what you’re saying. Honestly, if this was the middle of spring or summer and temps were 90+ then I would be real sad.

We‘ve had some nice days in the upper 50s or low 60s not pool weather, yet. However, I wanted to use the spa with these chilly evenings. I have no choice but to wait, maybe early next week.

Well, good for my project, the quartz company came first thing Monday, March 1st. What a sight for sore eyes. They set up at 7:00 and began, they finished at 12:00 packed up and left with 2 hoses in the deep end.

My landscapers finished up yesterday. This owner build is complete. Now, I will start posting new threads with questions moving forward.

quartz-begin-g.jpg quartz-start-g.jpg quartz-spa-g.jpg

Then the fill started... I got impatient and called a water delivery service after an hour. They took another hour to show up and by then there was a cushion of water to take the fire hose assault. That is what it was, pretty loud, too.

two-hose-fill-g.jpg firehose_spa-side-g.jpg Firehose_e-g.jpg

Here are the before and after photos of my pool build and landscape.

s-pool-before-g.jpg S-after-g.jpg n-side-before-g.jpg N-After-g.jpg

Well, good for my project, the quartz company came first thing Monday, March 1st. What a sight for sore eyes. They set up at 7:00 and began, they finished at 12:00 packed up and left with 2 hoses in the deep end.

My landscapers finished up yesterday. This owner build is complete. Now, I will start posting new threads with questions moving forward.

View attachment 177952 View attachment 177951 View attachment 177953

Then the fill started... I got impatient and called a water delivery service after an hour. They took another hour to show up and by then there was a cushion of water to take the fire hose assault. That is what it was, pretty loud, too.

View attachment 177955 View attachment 177956 View attachment 177957

Here are the before and after photos of my pool build and landscape.

View attachment 177958 View attachment 177959 View attachment 177962 View attachment 177963
What a gorgeous layout for the pool! Is that a cover attached ?

@jetski559 well the water temp "baby shark" thermometer indicates 58 degrees. Brushing... I should have built a smaller pool. :oops: There is a lot to brush. I am getting it done though it is physical work. No, they did not do an acid wash.

@JenniferMarie90 Yes, I/we have a pool cover. Really for safety reasons. My grandkids are most important and any other small children that may visit post pandemic. There have been posts here on TFP that speak about the additional benefits, i.e. lower percentage on the swcg, little debris getting into the pool. I'll have to figure out how long to uncover it each day. Currently, I have it covered at night.

Reactions: JenniferMarie90
We have an autocover and really enjoy having it. It was purchased primarily for safety reasons and the other benefits were a bonus. Marty's data point of 88 degrees being his high water temperature is telling. Sure shows the power of evaporation. Our temps are much lower in MD with highs averaging 88 and lows averaging 70 midsummer, and much higher humidity. But with periods of upper 90's. Our water temp was 90 for a month last year with no cover usage at that time. I suspect you will be grateful to have installed your chiller.

And some musings on our cover usage and the SWG. Our cover is used most times April/May and Sep/Oct, and as needed/desired in June-Aug (pool is winterized Nov-Mar). We also cover when on vacation. Our pool also has it's own fence. Amazing how little FC a fully covered 90 degree pool uses. Last summer I had the SWG set for 30% for 4 hours per day while on vacation and covered. For my pool that's .3 PPM per day. And the FC rose from 12 to 13.5. It had gotten a bit high on me before we left. Actually looking at the numbers, since my FC was high before I left, theoretically I could have set my SWG to 0% and the FC would have only dropped by about 2. Leaving it still above my standard level. But I'm not that daring and there is no need to be. Keeping the FC higher during vacation provides some insurance in case the electricity goes out while I'm away due to a thunderstorm and trips the pump breaker.

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.