Owner Build NW Las Vegas, first steps?

an1vrsy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I was so focused on selling my previous home in California, packing up and moving to Las Vegas, that I haven't been contributing very many post/comments lately.

Well, we moved into our new home on June 1st. From picking the model we wanted built to selecting the perfect (pool) lot, to limiting our home builder design options for the house to save budget for a pool, it's been a long haul. We are now in, I hope, our forever home. Now on to creating a backyard oasis.

I found TFP in 2018 after years of being pool $tored at my California home. Knowing that my wife wanted to move closer to the grandkids, I started watching and saved many OB threads in the Las Vegas area figuring I would want to do the same thing when I got here. Well, now that we are here, I have to figure out the first folks to call. We have a large lot, we want a 40 x 25 rectangular pool, spa, wet deck/tanning ledge, automatic pool cover (grandkids), swcg, sunken area with a covered pavilion, maybe a putting green area. So, I need to figure out the following:

Pick a company to design and engineer pool plans.
Get permits from the city and hoa.
Find and obtain estimates from the subs (excavation, steel, plumbing, electrical, gunite, plaster, tile, landscaping, etc)

I have read success stories here on TFP with OB, so I thought I would try an OB myself. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to Nevada!
Which city? LV or NLV?
You point out items I wished we had done, the autocover being one.

I would add a heater/chiller for the ultimate setup.

an1vrsy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I've read just a little about heater/chillers but I definitely want to research that, too. I don't want to jump into 90+ degree water.

We built in Las Vegas, up by the 215 beltway as it curves/transitions from north to east.

I've read OB threads but not sure where they got their engineering drawings done at.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
There were a couple extensive OB in Vegas last year and the year before. Do a Search in Under Construction. Then PM the members and see what you get.

an1vrsy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Well, I got my plans back. My wife and I approve this design. It was about 4 weeks to get the plans back. Thanks to TFP, and reading O/B threads, we are pleased with the results. We are awaiting to finalize the equipment list. Then on to the City permits and HOA for approval. In the meantime, I guess I/we can start the sub bid process.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks @SinCityCJ for the sub list you used. I saw your spa and asked for that within our design, too. I think I'll be using a lot of ideas I've seen here on TFP. Photos are attached.

My rough sketch.
1tfp-RoughSketch.jpg

My side yard
6tfp-sideyard.JPG

3D Renderings
2tfp-pool.JPG
3tfp-equipment.JPG
4tfp-umb.JPG
5tfp-pavilion.JPG

I am going to have to figure out how to upload the pdf of the design and display it as a photo and not has a file.

poolplan-1.JPG

Last edited: