Owner build in NJ seeking advice from other Owner builds steel/vinyl

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Hey TFP. I had posted a while back planning on doing a fiberglass pool install. I got some real pricing with delivery costs and its outta my budget. Now going w traditional steel panels vinyl liner and I need some advice. I have had to go thru alot to get approval from town to even put one in, and Im 4 weeks away from the green light. I am able to go 15x32 max but that is not a size avail, gonna either be a 15x30 or 14x28 which is OK by us. Im in construction no fears of install I used to excavate and still own skidsteer, will borrow excavator from buddy.

I am overwhelmed by the decisions on the accessories, I am upgrading the braces, doing a mid-level liner, and upgrading the filter and I think the pump to variable speed to save on energy. This is gonna be a November build here in NJ so I am just digging, doing the walls and floor then liner, and filling after the collar and some backfill. Gonna let it sit all winter and settle then take on the finish work with pavers/fence/landscaping etc. in spring. I am sub'ing the pool floor and I think I am also gonna not go with main drains in bottom, pool will only be 6' deep and for a smaller pool Im thinking wedge instead of flat spot with a drop into the bowl. I have a 6yo and a 13mo old so wife wants the flat spot we'll see who wins.

can you guys who did your own give me some advice on what you would have done different or things to make sure of. I am dizzy from reading on here the past few days with all the info and upgrades avail. Im on a tight budget but I do have an interest in lighting the pool and just maybe deck jets, have to do more research on the jets and the plumbing.

thanks in advance

I can save you some money. Don't bother with the deck jets. They are picky about their water as in they get clogged very easy and they make a lot of noise. It is cheaper and easy to use a return fountain when you want to for the kids. There are many out there. Here is one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-54507-Pool-Waterfall-Fountain/dp/B0007PKYRM

I will see if I can find the build in my neck of the woods that did his own pool like you are doing. It might take a me a while though so hold on.

Kim:kim:

We have a 31 ft pool and went with a wedge. 4 to 6 beam. Over 31 ft the wedge works well. I would caution if you are planning on a slide or jumping rock that 6 feet is not very deep. It works for us and most adults can stand in 90% of the pool. My PB did make the first 3ft off the steps flat. I have in-pool steps and in his experience it is better to have the last step lead to a flat bottom. It works great and we had no issues. I have poured concrete walls, hard bottom, and a vinyl liner. We also built in Oct and finish in the spring. Good luck with your build.
2d7bc02f935ca5ef371044b0c47a7e43.jpg

Reactions: Cphats
We have a 31 ft pool and went with a wedge. 4 to 6 beam. Over 31 ft the wedge works well. I would caution if you are planning on a slide or jumping rock that 6 feet is not very deep. It works for us and most adults can stand in 90% of the pool. My PB did make the first 3ft off the steps flat. I have in-pool steps and in his experience it is better to have the last step lead to a flat bottom. It works great and we had no issues. I have poured concrete walls, hard bottom, and a vinyl liner. We also built in Oct and finish in the spring. Good luck with your build.
2d7bc02f935ca5ef371044b0c47a7e43.jpg

I like your decking - is that stamped concrete or pavers? What did you go with for coping?

I just took delivery of the pool 2day, ended up going with a 14x30 kit and wife prevailed and its a hopper not a wedge. I have 11ft of flat shallow and then a 12ft wedge down to 6ft Im ok w the angle its very gradual and you can stand just fine. Unfortunately we hit the cold spell here in NJ its 44 today and we wont be able to get the liner in this year so Im not gonna chance the groundwater taking out the shell and worrying about pumps and water all winter. Ill dig it at first break in temps late march so I can have water in it come April. I didnt want to spend hours compacting lifts of backfill for the paver decking but Im gonna have no choice, the pool took 3 weeks for delivery as it was custom sized. Spent the money and got grey granite color w no border in 30mil, a hayward VS pump, and a huge hayward cartridge filter. I need to find pics of ppls pump pads I got the plumbing kinda roughed out on paper but I dont know what to do about winterizing ports and creature comforts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.