Owner build Az, Need equipment suggestions.

Danilopr70

Apr 15, 2020
Cave creek Arizona
Hello All, I am going the owner build route and had a question regarding equipment. Pool will be 16 x32 depth 4’, 5’6”, 4’ rectangular to keep it simple. 3 returns a 6ft x 16 ft Baja shelf 12 in deep with two bubblers, an intellibrite 5g led color light on main area and a microbrite color led for Baja shelf both which will point away from house towards a 20ft long by 24” high water feature, with three 24” sheers. Is a 3hp vs pump sufficient for this set up? Any help is appreciated.

You may want to connect with @BUT ITS A DRY HEAT and @Davids.French as both are doing a O/B in AZ & NV. It would be good that y'all follow each other's threads to gather recommendations and info. I think all the pools are similar in size.

Will you plan to have a separate pump for the water feature or do you plan to run pool and water feature with the single pump? It is feasible to run it all just want to ensure what you are thinking.

Also, are you planning for a SWCG and a cartridge filter?

On similar topic, will you have 2 skimmers? You may want to have 4-5 returns as 3 is the bare minimum.

Post a picture of your design if you have it as that will help.

One thing I read on about the Pentair lights in a few instances, is the Intellibrite and Microbrites can be a slightly different in color, and can be noticeable if you are using them in the same area. Maybe not as noticeable if you say use Intellibrites in the pool, and a microbrite in a spa, but if they are both in the pool, you may notice slightly different shades from them. The "blues" for example, may be just off you notice it, but not too terrible if the different sizes are what you need to make it work.

You may want to connect with @BUT ITS A DRY HEAT and @Davids.French as both are doing a O/B in AZ & NV. It would be good that y'all follow each other's threads to gather recommendations and info. I think all the pools are similar in size.

Will you plan to have a separate pump for the water feature or do you plan to run pool and water feature with the single pump? It is feasible to run it all just want to ensure what you are thinking.

Also, are you planning for a SWCG and a cartridge filter?

On similar topic, will you have 2 skimmers? You may want to have 4-5 returns as 3 is the bare minimum.

Post a picture of your design if you have it as that will help.
Hi There, thanks for replying. I will have one skimmer. I did request to add another return. Not sure what SWGC is??? Sorry. I had a bigger pool in the house I sold last year but I didn’t build : ) and it had one skimmer four returns and a rock water feature. I will run everything off of an intelliflo VS 3HP and a pentair cartridge 520 filter. I think I can control the water sheers and bubblers with separate valves.

47EEAEBF-4B4F-4FEA-8F80-936265F56F52.jpeg

Thanks for the design layout. It looks great.
I would personally request 2 skimmers. Wind has just as much effect on surface debris circulation so having 2 skimmers at opposite ends would be beneficial. Also, have each skimmer plumbed as independent lines back to the equipment pad. This way you can control each separately. You show a main drain so that will also be plumbed as an independent line back to the equipment pad. You also would want minimum 2" suction lines, maybe even 2 1/2 and either 1 1/2 or 2" return lines. Some others may chime in on specifics now that you have provided a design and some other details. Especially if you want to power all the water features and circulation with a single VS pump.

Having 4 returns is important. For example, my pool is just a couple of feet shorter than yours and I have 5 returns and 2 skimmers. It is a cost but you also want efficient circulation.

Some put a single line from the equipment pad to the sheers then branch them behind the wall to each and have a valve on each. I think that is what you are referring to.

A SWCG is a Saltwater Chlorine Generator - this is what sanitizes your pool. The alternative is using Chlorine pucks which is not well regarded by the TFP process or go to liquid chlorine. If you read other posts you will see that many people have pools that use chlorine pucks but then using the TFP process they transition to liquid chlorine and then they transition to SWCG. So if you are building a pool why not go straight to the SWCG. It will be more convenient over the long term.

There is another subject that you need to consider - automation. With having a water feature and bubblers, lights, possible SWCG, you should review the need for level of automation you want to control and monitor everything.

I didn't mean to overload you on other considerations but they jumped in my head as I was typing.

Thanks for the design layout. It looks great.
I would personally request 2 skimmers. Wind has just as much effect on surface debris circulation so having 2 skimmers at opposite ends would be beneficial. Also, have each skimmer plumbed as independent lines back to the equipment pad. This way you can control each separately. You show a main drain so that will also be plumbed as an independent line back to the equipment pad. You also would want minimum 2" suction lines, maybe even 2 1/2 and either 1 1/2 or 2" return lines. Some others may chime in on specifics now that you have provided a design and some other details. Especially if you want to power all the water features and circulation with a single VS pump.

Having 4 returns is important. For example, my pool is just a couple of feet shorter than yours and I have 5 returns and 2 skimmers. It is a cost but you also want efficient circulation.

Some put a single line from the equipment pad to the sheers then branch them behind the wall to each and have a valve on each. I think that is what you are referring to.

A SWCG is a Saltwater Chlorine Generator - this is what sanitizes your pool. The alternative is using Chlorine pucks which is not well regarded by the TFP process or go to liquid chlorine. If you read other posts you will see that many people have pools that use chlorine pucks but then using the TFP process they transition to liquid chlorine and then they transition to SWCG. So if you are building a pool why not go straight to the SWCG. It will be more convenient over the long term.

There is another subject that you need to consider - automation. With having a water feature and bubblers, lights, possible SWCG, you should review the need for level of automation you want to control and monitor everything.

I didn't mean to overload you on other considerations but they jumped in my head as I was typing.
Thanks, will
look in to your suggestions. I have never owned a salt water pool and will look in to cost vs chlorine tabs. I would rather have the one that give me less issues and helps in maintaining my pool crystal clear better. Great advice, will look in to all of it. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

One thing I read on about the Pentair lights in a few instances, is the Intellibrite and Microbrites can be a slightly different in color, and can be noticeable if you are using them in the same area. Maybe not as noticeable if you say use Intellibrites in the pool, and a microbrite in a spa, but if they are both in the pool, you may notice slightly different shades from them. The "blues" for example, may be just off you notice it, but not too terrible if the different sizes are what you need to make it work.
Thanks for the info. I’ve never had led color light in my other pool so will definitely see if other options, if not no biggie.

Thanks, will
look in to your suggestions. I have never owned a salt water pool and will look in to cost vs chlorine tabs. I would rather have the one that give me less issues and helps in maintaining my pool crystal clear better. Great advice, will look in to all of it. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
I requested to add another return making it 4 and am getting pushback from the drafter saying that 3 is enough. What are the repercussions of only having 3 vs 4? Thanks

I requested to add another return making it 4 and am getting pushback from the drafter saying that 3 is enough. What are the repercussions of only having 3 vs 4? Thanks
I looked at your design and it really doesn't show the skimmer(s) or return jets (not that I can see on the callouts). From what I have learned on this forum 4 returns on your size pool should be the minimium. Maybe the designer is concerned how the sun shelf is positioned and only go with 3 returns. Ask him to show you the placement of returns with 3 and also how they would do it with 4. You can then visualize how the circulation will occur. At the end of the day, it is a cost to add a skimmer and extra pipework but it is minimal cost vs. having inefficient circulation for the long term.

I will bump this to @ajw22 as he contributes a lot to plumbing & pump designs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Having 2 skimmers is more important then having 4 returns. 3 returns is fine for a 16x32 pool. Where skimmers and returns are placed is more important then the numbers.

I would want 2 skimmers and 3 returns in that size and shape pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.