Overwhelmed - Chemicals and Levels for 8500 Gallon Above Ground Pool

Gopherboy6956

Jun 3, 2020
Fargo, ND
I setup my Intex XTR 18' pool a few weeks ago - and am just getting started with the chemical maintencance process. I have the Auqa Check test strips and have got a chlorine tabet float in the water.

I tested last night, and the results were:
Total Hardness (Low, probably around 75ppm)
Total Chlorine - Around 3-4ppm
Free Chlorine -Around 3ppm
PH - Low - ~6.5
Total Alkalinity - Low, 20ppm
Cyanuric Acid - Low, almost zero

I purchased PH+ Sodium Carbonate and Stabilizer Cyanuric Acid.

Using the dosage charts for an 8500 gallon pool, it says to get from 0 to 50 ppm of Cyanuric Acid, I needed Dang near 65oz of stabilizer. That's over 2 bottles of this stuff (28oz per bottle) and a total of like $20 to get to that level. I added what I had (28oz) in a bucket but it didn't dissolve well at all. I kept dumping the water (keeping the granules in the bucket) over and over, but it still hasn't dissolved and I don't want a bunch of white granules on the bottom of my pool. If i'm having trouble with that small amount, how am I supposed to put another 37oz of this stuff in there? Did I do that wrong?

I used this chart for dosage: Pool Chemical Dosage Charts - The Ultimate in Pool Care

Also - I'm not sure what to do about the PH and Alkalinity - Everywhere I read says add Sodium Bicarbonate, our store only has sodium carbonate. I looked at the dosage chart for that, and it says i'll need something like 11 pounds! What?!?! The tub I have is only 4.5lbs. That seems like a lot of chemicals.

This doesn't seem sustainable.

1591299537969.png

I'm new around the forum, but I know for sure the folks on here are going to advise you to ditch those test strips. They're not very accurate. Test Kits Compared is where you'll probably be directed. The TF-100 is what I purchased based on the advice, and couldn't be happier. You'll get exact measurements with a better kit. Once you get your test kit, you'll be able to post accurate test numbers, and people will be able to direct you on how best to get your levels in check. You'll also want to check out PoolMath. After you get your test kit, you can plug your numbers in and pool math will guide you on how much of each product to add to get your levels in check.

I'm new around the forum, but I know for sure the folks on here are going to advise you to ditch those test strips. They're not very accurate. Test Kits Compared is where you'll probably be directed. The TF-100 is what I purchased based on the advice, and couldn't be happier. You'll get exact measurements with a better kit. Once you get your test kit, you'll be able to post accurate test numbers, and people will be able to direct you on how best to get your levels in check. You'll also want to check out PoolMath. After you get your test kit, you can plug your numbers in and pool math will guide you on how much of each product to add to get your levels in check.

I just actually ordered the TF-100- so it's on the way. I did also download Poolmath as well, so i'll wait for my test kit for that.

Welcome Gopher. While you wait, Read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Its a lot of terms at first but read it, take some time to process it and read it again a few times. You’ll be a whiz in no time. There are many related articles in pool school, click on any that apply to you. ‘Startup chems for new plaster’ for example..... feel free to skip that one for now. You got 220k+ members here so ask away with any questions and somebody or a gaggle of somebodies will help you out.

Welcome aboard! You are right - CYA is a pain. The best way to get it in the pool is to pour granules into a gym sock and hang in front of the return. Squeeze it a few times a day, and most importantly, do increments so you don’t accidentally do too much. For example, if I need to add 24 ounces, I’ll start with 16, then test and see where I am at.

I use zip ties to fasten my CYA sock to my brush handle and dangle it off my stairs. I also jump in and swim around with the sock when I want it to dissolve quickly.

Until your test kit comes and you can see where your numbers are, use Pool Match to figure out how much chlorine to add daily to keep things under control. You can use a low CYA number since you’ve already added some - perhaps 20.

By the way, sodium bicarbonate is baking soda. ? You can get at Walmart or the grocery store.You use that to raise total alkalinity, if needed.

Whoops, just realized you were talking about raising ph. You need soda ash (sodium carbonate) or borax for that. You can also aerate... throw the kids in and let them splash. But again, don’t add anything until you have an accurate test.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! You are right - CYA is a pain. The best way to get it in the pool is to pour granules into a gym sock and hang in front of the return. Squeeze it a few times a day, and most importantly, do increments so you don’t accidentally do too much. For example, if I need to add 24 ounces, I’ll start with 16, then test and see where I am at.

I use zip ties to fasten my CYA sock to my brush handle and dangle it off my stairs. I also jump in and swim around with the sock when I want it to dissolve quickly.

Until your test kit comes and you can see where your numbers are, use Pool Match to figure out how much chlorine to add daily to keep things under control. You can use a low CYA number since you’ve already added some - perhaps 20.
Awesome tip - I'll do that. I was hoping it would easily dissolve. I still have most of it in a 5gal bucket in the shed - ill wait till the test kit gets here before I add more. Thankfully my chlorine float with the tablets in it seems to be keeping chlorine in the OK zone.

It’s fine to use your tabs until kit arrives, but you don’t want to use them regularly. They will raise CYA, and the only way to lower CYA if it is too high is to drain.

Been there, done that!

It’s fine to use your tabs until kit arrives, but you don’t want to use them regularly. They will raise CYA, and the only way to lower CYA if it is too high is to drain.

Been there, done that!
So what do people use to keep chlorine at a stable level without having to add it all the time? the pool has been up about 2 weeks now, and (according to the test strips at least) the chlorine has been bang on. Can I just keep using them and not add anymore CYA?

I use a salt water generator. But before that, I added chlorine. Once you learn your pool and get your chemistry right, it’s super easy and takes less than 5 minutes. The right CYA level will control your chlorine loss. You want to find the right CYA level for your pool, then keep it there.

Believe me, you will not be happy doing what I did... unwittingly raising the CYA bit by bit until it was taking more and more chlorine to control algae. Take a look at this table and you will see how much more chlorine is needed as the CYA goes up... then imagine how much would be needed with a CYA of about 120 or more, which is what happened to me!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok - TF-100 came today. Did a first test on everything except caclium since I have an above ground intex.

Put everything into poolmath.

FC - 17.0
CC - .5
pH - 6.8
TA - 100
CYA - 50
Temp 69

Also did this - but a bit confused by the color on the left. I suppose that means its high?

Now - this is also after two straight days of rain - and it's still raining for about another day. We haven't seen any sun the last few days, and I took my chlorine float out now as well.

Any recommendations other than what PoolMath says to add / adjust? 3lb 8oz of soda ash/washing soda SEEMS like a lot to knock up pH. Also not sure how to lower TA since pH is already low.

test.jpg

Congrats and good job so far!
Use half that amount and get the PH up! Vinyl does not handle low PH!
You don't need to "focus" on your TA's exact level, it is not holding your PH up, so it likely needs to come up a bit anyways.

Reactions: Gopherboy6956
Your FC is too high to get an accurate PH reading - wait until FC is 10 or below. I wouldn’t bother using the left side of the color matching test. The FAS-DPD powder test is much more accurate.

So what do people use to keep chlorine at a stable level without having to add it all the time? the pool has been up about 2 weeks now, and (according to the test strips at least) the chlorine has been bang on. Can I just keep using them and not add anymore CYA?
Liquid Chlorine! It's relatively inexpensive and completely safe to use correctly!
We use the Walmart Pool Essentials Liquid "Pool Chlorine" 10% Sodium Hypochlorite.

Reactions: Gopherboy6956
You are way ahead of the game by finding this site. I almost fell for the "hands off" maintenance with my new pool. Had my test strips and a bucket of chlorine tablets ready before finding this website.
Got my TF100 kit, which I actually enjoy using and test daily for free chlorine. I need to add on average a quart of liquid chlorine a day. Takes me all of 10 minutes in the evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.