Overwhelmed by all these numbers....what do i need??

So all the chemicals are in. When should I test again?
Also, since I filled with well water I've got a bit of an iron problem which I think is causing my cloudiness. But besides that I noticed that the sick that was hanging with the stabilizer in front of the jet turned brown from what I'm assuming is the iron.

willie1280 said:
So all the chemicals are in. When should I test again?
Also, since I filled with well water I've got a bit of an iron problem which I think is causing my cloudiness. But besides that I noticed that the sick that was hanging with the stabilizer in front of the jet turned brown from what I'm assuming is the iron.
Yep.

You might even try layering some paper towels in the skimmer basket. I've seen some pictures here where they get brown in a couple hours straining iron. Or tie a sock over the return jet and let any rust particles that make it through the filter get caught there. Find an orphan sock with no holes.

I don't have a skimmer basket, at least what i would consider one which would be the type hanging off the side of the pool at the water level. My pump just sits on the ground so im not sure how i would put paper towels in there. So I don't need to add anything to help with the iron issue?

Here is the best pic i could take regarding the cloudiness:
Pool2_zpsb8422be8.jpeg

I am going to retest tonight and see where i am at.
What is causing my cloudiness/discoloration at this point?
Is there an ideal time during the day/night to run the pump? I've been doing 6hr cycles late afternoon.
Just to confirm, it's ok to use the pool while the sock is hanging in front of the jet with the stabilizer in it? I still have about half of what i put in to go.

willie1280 said:
I am going to retest tonight and see where i am at.
What is causing my cloudiness/discoloration at this point?
Is there an ideal time during the day/night to run the pump? I've been doing 6hr cycles late afternoon.
Just to confirm, it's ok to use the pool while the sock is hanging in front of the jet with the stabilizer in it? I still have about half of what i put in to go.

Yes you can swim with CYA hanging, in fact give it a couple squeezes when you swim by.

Your chlorine is too low, at this point it should never fall below 2ppm.

Untill you get a feeling for how much chlorine your pool uses, I would suggest testing in the morning (and adding bleach) and then testing in the evening and adding bleach. Once you find you don't need to add bleach at each testing to keep your target FC level, then just test once a day. I'm not sure how often everyone is testing, seems like people start to get a feel for it and can go a day or three between adjustments. Many/most do it daily.

I do it every other day during the week, and each day on weekends.

Harleysilo--nice job on the pool calculator image! Should help out alot of folks who are just becoming TFP'ers. I remember being quite overwhelmed between the calculator and my TF100 kit. Now I wouldn't/couldn't get through a pool season without these tools.

Willie1280--you have come to the right place. You are in very capable hands!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.