Overnight SLAM question

Jun 19, 2018
Nova Scotia
Helping my friend. He had a problem with his pump he got it fixed. However in that 5 days his water turned green. I have his CYA to 70, his PH to 7.2. Figured out his approximate qty of water in his kidney shape in ground pool.

So so started a SLAM to 24 ppm at noon today. We have 6 gallons of chlorine in so far today to maintain level.
its now 9pm.

what do we do overnight?
Let it go till morning or bring up level over 24 ppm so that we have more than enough to carry through till daybreak .

Hi there :)

The object of SLAM is to keep chlorine at shock level for your CYA until pool water is clear, CC is less than .5 and Overnight chlorine loss is 1 or less. If it has dropped below that, add liquid chlorine to bring it back up........as often as possible.

Shock
Level
And
Maintain

If you can test and dose for the overnight hours, that would be best. The pool is going to eat a lot of chlorine overnight so keeping the maintenance up in the beginning is crucial to making sure all the algae dies. You don’t want half measures. Then, once you get to the clearing phase, you can be a little less pedal-to-the-metal with the FC.

Helping my friend. He had a problem with his pump he got it fixed. However in that 5 days his water turned green. I have his CYA to 70, his PH to 7.2. Figured out his approximate qty of water in his kidney shape in ground pool.

So so started a SLAM to 24 ppm at noon today. We have 6 gallons of chlorine in so far today to maintain level.
its now 9pm.

what do we do overnight?
Let it go till morning or bring up level over 24 ppm so that we have more than enough to carry through till daybreak .

If the CYA is 70ppm, your FC for the SLAM is 28ppm, not 24ppm.

If possible, test just before bedtime, and dose as needed to get back to 28ppm. Repeat in the AM, and as often as possible.

When I had to SLAM, I started on the weekend so I could test and dose very often for the first 2 days, then during the work week I would test and dose when leaving for work, as soon as I got home, right after dinner, and just before bed.

As long as you are at or below shock level, it’s safe to swim in. Industry recommendations that say you shouldn’t be in a pool with the FC above 5ppm do not take into account the buffering effects of CYA. You can happily swim whenever you please.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.