Overly paranoid question about Muriatic Acid and Chlorine

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
So my TA is a bit high, 110 and my pH was a little high as well at 8.0.
So I wanted to lower the pH with muriatic acid and then raise the pH up to clear out a bit of the TA. Was hoping my pH would then hover around 7.6-7.8 instead of 7.8-8.0

So I put my muriatic acid in (I only had about 48oz left, so i used that) and knowing very well that you can't put chlorine in, I waited a good 2 hours with the pump running around 2850rpm and cycling the water.

So I put my gallon of chlorine in after the 2 hrs.

I know I Am probably being paranoid, but that is completely safe to do right? Waiting 2 hours and putting in chlorine after muriatic acid of 48oz? How close and how much does one have to combine in order to create deadly toxic gas from the combination of the two?

#s for the sake of it:
FC 2.0 (prior to adding chlorine)
CC: 0.0
CYA: 40
TA: 110
Hardness: 150

Am I being paranoid or am i on the fringe of concern?

so no chance of creating a toxic gas from the combination of the two?

Not if you wait at least 15 minutes between chemicals. They will have been diluted by the water by then.

If you’re not pouring both in at the same time, you’re fine. If you’re really concerned use two different return jets. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.