Overhang of Travertine around Raised beam

I’ll grab a photo of mine tomorrow. We have travertine coping on the raised beam and it overhangs on both sides. My understanding is we will get a “brown coat” on the backside pretty soon here. It’s good to be picky but I’m picking and choosing my battles. So far my builder has been awesome and we’re trying to be somewhat understanding with the delays and such. Everyone is dealing with shortages of people and resources.

I’ll grab a photo of mine tomorrow. We have travertine coping on the raised beam and it overhangs on both sides. My understanding is we will get a “brown coat” on the backside pretty soon here. It’s good to be picky but I’m picking and choosing my battles. So far my builder has been awesome and we’re trying to be somewhat understanding with the delays and such. Everyone is dealing with shortages of people and resources.
You can see the overhang on both inside and outside edges is about 2-3” and the back side is unfinished. They are putting on a stucco coat in the exposed areas today so that will finish up any rough surfaces.

Attachments

• 434D4A7E-A01C-4D01-A8EB-8DED6C8F1651.jpeg
    434D4A7E-A01C-4D01-A8EB-8DED6C8F1651.jpeg
    557.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 6613D49C-893E-43C7-9BEF-C62366B18E14.jpeg
    6613D49C-893E-43C7-9BEF-C62366B18E14.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Texasgirl#
We didn’t have travertine, we went with natural stone, but there was an overhang initially that the stonemasons then finished with either vertically attached stone or cement for a smooth, finished look. Definitely verify that’s the plan with your PB though.

You can see the overhang on both inside and outside edges is about 2-3” and the back side is unfinished. They are putting on a stucco coat in the exposed areas today so that will finish up any rough surfaces.
That is exactly what we would have wanted. They have agreed to most of what we thought needed to be redone, and paying a little extra for additional veneer. Too late for the overhang. I agree. Picking my battles, and going in with honey instead of vinegar. PM has been great. Thanks for pic.

Make sure PM knows you still want that overhang. I think had they not laid on the plaster/cement etc as thick on ours we would have kept the overhang. Just a thought.

I think it's pretty subjective as to whether you need an overhang or not but here's mine.

Attachments

• 20211211_084703.jpg
    20211211_084703.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211211_084724.jpg
    20211211_084724.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211211_084644.jpg
    20211211_084644.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 27
Make sure PM knows you still want that overhang. I think had they not laid on the plaster/cement etc as thick on ours we would have kept the overhang. Just a thought.
Thanks for the advice! We just got the stucco coat on after I posted and we still have a solid 2-3 inches of overhang. The only other thing I might have done differently is have fire features, but I figure we can do that on the patio with furniture and fire bowls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.