TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi! I was wondering if anyone can show me how their coping was installed on their raised beam waterfall? My issue is that they installed the travertine coping on it without an over hang in the back of it. They cut the tiles flush with the buff mortar skim coat. Leaving it looking cheap in my opinion. I was curious if you have a pic of of something similar. Am I incorrect in thinking the should have left an overhang? Need clarification before I go to PM. Now that we see it there we also needed to wrap the veneer around the smaller walls as it is too visible from the side (first pic). TIA and thanks for always being helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_7985.jpg
    IMG_7985.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7983.jpg
    IMG_7983.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7968.jpg
    IMG_7968.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7969.jpg
    IMG_7969.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 125
Unfortunately most of pool building is a matter of opinion, with exception to the shell. Especially cosmetic stuff like that. I don't think that looks bad. But like you, I would have expected an overhang that matched the front. Are the columns the same way, flush with the back side?

I can see, in the future, that joint where the skim coat overlaps the edge of the travertine, cracking out, since the skim coat and the travertine will expand and contract at different rates. I would use that as your concern and why you would like it reworked so that the travertine overhangs the back side of the wall. That way you don't have a crack running along the back side of the wall that becomes a point of water intrusion between the skim coat and the gunite, which could cause the skim coat to fail and delaminate.

--Jeff

Doesn’t really matter….back of the pool will be soft scaped, so the plants will hide the wall. What is the plan for the left / right side of the pool. If its patio, I assume it will be flush with the small wall coping?

Last edited:
Unfortunately most of pool building is a matter of opinion, with exception to the shell. Especially cosmetic stuff like that. I don't think that looks bad. But like you, I would have expected an overhang that matched the front. Are the columns the same way, flush with the back side?

I can see, in the future, that joint where the skim coat overlaps the edge of the travertine, cracking out, since the skim coat and the travertine will expand and contract at different rates. I would use that as your concern and why you would like it reworked so that the travertine overhangs the back side of the wall. That way you don't have a crack running along the back side of the wall that becomes a point of water intrusion between the skim coat and the gunite, which could cause the skim coat to fail and delaminate.

--Jeff
Hi Jeff. No, the columns do have an over hang. OK. Thanks for the info on that. I will point that out as well. Makes sense to me.

Doesn’t really matter….back of the pool will be soft scaped, so the plants will hide the wall. What is the plane for the left / right side of the pool. If its patio, I assume it will be flush with the small wall coping?
The decking will come from edge of the pool to fence so you will see the skim coat. I agree about landscaping and hiding it but I think I'll still see it as the landscaping won't be that close to pool.

As Jeff said, it's probably a matter of opinion. Or "this is how we always do it." Mine they left with an overhang and I thought, "why the heck did they leave it like this, this looks like Crud." Haha...But I have to pick my battles and since me and my boyfriend are the only ones that will ever be behind the pool and see it, I decided this wasn't going to be one of them.
back wall.jpg

Reactions: Texasgirl#
Here is what mine looks like, roughly the same amount of overhang front and back.

Attachments

• WIN_20211204_13_31_13_Pro-1.jpg
    WIN_20211204_13_31_13_Pro-1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 48
Hi! I was wondering if anyone can show me how their coping was installed on their raised beam waterfall? My issue is that they installed the travertine coping on it without an over hang in the back of it. They cut the tiles flush with the buff mortar skim coat. Leaving it looking cheap in my opinion. I was curious if you have a pic of of something similar. Am I incorrect in thinking the should have left an overhang? Need clarification before I go to PM. Now that we see it there we also needed to wrap the veneer around the smaller walls as it is too visible from the side (first pic). TIA and thanks for always
Hi! I was wondering if anyone can show me how their coping was installed on their raised beam waterfall? My issue is that they installed the travertine coping on it without an over hang in the back of it. They cut the tiles flush with the buff mortar skim coat. Leaving it looking cheap in my opinion. I was curious if you have a pic of of something similar. Am I incorrect in thinking the should have left an overhang? Need clarification before I go to PM. Now that we see it there we also needed to wrap the veneer around the smaller walls as it is too visible from the side (first pic). TIA and thanks for always being helpful.
Hello,
I wanted the overhang in back because I thought the top looked more finished and uniform. We didnt wrap the stone around the back because the area behind cant’t be seen from any sitting area. We hang the pool brushes and nets. We also can keep the robot controller behind the wall.

Attachments

• C7013176-4E13-4096-96E9-F683F35ED2E2.jpeg
    C7013176-4E13-4096-96E9-F683F35ED2E2.jpeg
    636.7 KB · Views: 64
  • A13624B5-4FFA-437B-8CC9-AEE074D89F25.jpeg
    A13624B5-4FFA-437B-8CC9-AEE074D89F25.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 63
  • BA46D181-62F4-42C9-A378-C6EDFD0340D0.jpeg
    BA46D181-62F4-42C9-A378-C6EDFD0340D0.jpeg
    851.3 KB · Views: 64
My stucco has not been applied yet but looks like the travertine coping has an approximately 3/4 -1 inch overhang, which is a little small for my liking. My pool backs up to a canal so it will be very visible. When it comes time for stucco I'm going to ask them to preserve as much overhang as possible. Not sure how thick the stucco layer is.

Attachments

• 20211205_071202.jpg
    20211205_071202.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20211205_071155.jpg
    20211205_071155.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 47

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My stucco has not been applied yet but looks like the travertine coping has an approximately 3/4 -1 inch overhang, which is a little small for my liking. My pool backs up to a canal so it will be very visible. When it comes time for stucco I'm going to ask them to preserve as much overhang as possible. Not sure how thick the stucco layer is.
Thanks for sharing. Yes, your looks like it will be close to mine when done. Still waiting for PM to reply. It's the weekend. He deserves a couple of days off from his customers, pretty sure he had a rough week. Lets see what my honey approach gets me. I really hate the look. Now is the time to correct it. Even if I have to pay for it. It will bug me because I can see it from different angles on decking. Also, the overhang is going to offset the bulge out the skim coat application caused. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: renesme
If your contract didn't specify that the back side of that wall be finished I doubt they will do much about it. If it is backing up to the fence where no one will really see it that's very typical. Plus in most builders case - they don't finish that back side equal to front unless spelled out.

I'm wondering if they can trowel a small notch/gap just below the travertine cap. That separation might give the illusion of more overhang. I noticed in some homes in my neighborhood that were recently stucco"d they did a line like that where the top of the wall meets the roof gable.

If your contract didn't specify that the back side of that wall be finished I doubt they will do much about it. If it is backing up to the fence where no one will really see it that's very typical. Plus in most builders case - they don't finish that back side equal to front unless spelled out.
Thanks Joe.

I'm wondering if they can trowel a small notch/gap just below the travertine cap. That separation might give the illusion of more overhang. I noticed in some homes in my neighborhood that were recently stucco"d they did a line like that where the top of the wall meets the roof gable.
That's a great idea Kevin. I am meeting this morning and I'll bring that up as a possible option.

Reactions: joepaiii
UPDATE: Met with PM this morning and addressed my concerns. Looks like we should be able to grind down that wall and add the veneer. Thanks for all the help and advise. ONLY reason I am doing this is because the way it's built you can see that wall from decking even with potential landscape. I appreciate you all!

UPDATE: Met with PM this morning and addressed my concerns. Looks like we should be able to grind down that wall and add the veneer. Thanks for all the help and advise. ONLY reason I am doing this is because the way it's built you can see that wall from decking even with potential landscape. I appreciate you all!
Great news! Please update us on how that process goes if you remember, as I might have to request that.

Reactions: Texasgirl#
Hi there. First, thanks for always being constructive and helpful!!! We chose eased edge. So it is beautiful but the edge is not so "eased". PM mentioned sanding the edge smoother, then kind of back tracked. Has anyone has theirs sanded a bit to give it more of an eased edge? Just so it's not such a sharp corner? IF you have done this can you show me a pic ? Opinions welcome. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_8049.jpg
    IMG_8049.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 48

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.