Overchlorination

ktiz81

Jun 30, 2019
Michigan
Hi all,

I’ve been a lurker, but admittedly you guys have helped a ton when we got our new hot tub 8 months ago.

being that it was so helpful to learn how to properly care for water, when my brother purchased a house with a pool I told him to bring water over and I’d test it with my Taylor kit to get him started on the right foot.
well turns out, before I offered help, someone else had too, and basically had him dumping bottle after bottle of chlorine in it because it was still cloudy.

so now, he had a WAY over chlorinated pool, and when I say WAY, I mean on a 10ml sample, I ran out of drops on my FAS-DPD test trying to get it to change. It’s bad. When I just use the standard FC/ph tester I use to quick test my tub, the chlorine turns red.

I cannot even deduce how much chlorine he actually has in it, I’m guess upwards of 200ppm.

is there a way to fix this? I read hydrogen peroxide can work (but I can only buy 32 oz bottles), and I’ve also read that sodium thiosulfate will work.

does anyone else have any suggestions? I’m at a loss, and I’m just trying to be a nice younger sib and help my brother get his pool to the TFP method so that it’s easier to maintain, but I’m obviously starting with a mess now!

If the CYA is near zero, the half life of the chlorine approaches one hour with sun shining on the pool surface. It may take a couple days, but I bet the chlorine is gone soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.