Over-wintering Intex Pools experiences/advice

HI, just seeing this post...thinking of keeping up my metal frame pool in winter. I live in WA state. How did it go the last few years? Did you have success? I have salt chlorinator. What else would I need to do? thank you!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

HI!! Can you tell me what you did!? I live in WA state. Have a 16X48 metal frame pool with salt chlorinator. Do I need to keep running it all winter? Keep water in? What cover did you buy? THank you!!! Am so tired of taking these pools down each year!!

I drained the sand filter and pump, drained blow the inlets and put the plugs on/closed the valves, removed the pump and that was it. This year I plan to do the same, but also cover it with a winter cover.

this was our first winter leaving our 18' intex up and winterized. Got the middle of the road cover, winterized the water and dropped it down below the intakes. Removed all the equipment to inside. Cover is attached with the cord and milk jugs. Yes, there is a pillow in the middle and the pool appears frozen so we are seriously not touching it. Left the snows adobe but Siphoned water all winter from the cover. Lots of you tube for winterizing an above ground pool. It did great.
Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Hi Portland, Oregon.....You seem to have the same weather as us, so I am wondering: Do you do the shock packages to winterize? I use only the salt chlorinator all summer and am against adding any chemicals to our pool, esp algaecide, which I think is bad for kids to swim in next summer. If you do use a shock package, is there one for salt chlorinators/or non-chemical ones that work?

What cover did you buy? There are winterized covers!? Should we buy a tarp too? This pool website we went on has a winch to close it up tight for the cover. Is that enough?
If you don't mind, can you tell me step by step what you did since there are so many versions around...........

Thank you Portland!!!!!

Hi - from Connecticut.
I have 20'ft pro series metal frame. I put it 2 years ago. I leave it up all year. Connecticut endures single digit temps & big snow loads.

I remove the mechanicals after water temp dips to the low 50s, plug the return & pack skimmer with flexible pool noodles & leave solar blanket on.

The key to successful wintering, is NOT using a winter cover, as even a small snow or water load would put tremendous pressure on the frame.

Ray

BTW - I am a swimming pool contractor & put the frame pool up for the kids to enjoy, until we move. The pool has brought tremendous joy!!

I use a regular tarp to avoid too much debris and leaves in the pool. Winterizing without cover is not an option here. We get lots of snow and rain and several weeks of freezing. The trick is not to tighten the tarp but let it float on top of the poolwater. That way no extra strain is put on the frame. Drain/remove excess water/snow carefully if required. A pillow or large jug in the middle makes it easier to drain.

Hi - from Connecticut.
I have 20'ft pro series metal frame. I put it 2 years ago. I leave it up all year. Connecticut endures single digit temps & big snow loads.

I remove the mechanicals after water temp dips to the low 50s, plug the return & pack skimmer with flexible pool noodles & leave solar blanket on.

The key to successful wintering, is NOT using a winter cover, as even a small snow or water load would put tremendous pressure on the frame.

Ray

BTW - I am a swimming pool contractor & put the frame pool up for the kids to enjoy, until we move. The pool has brought tremendous joy!!

I'm considering putting the winter cover on during the time the leaves fall from the trees then removing it. Last year I ended up with leaves on the bottom, and ultimately a little algae, by spring.

I used an oversized cover to make sure the cover was resting on the water, this way snow weight was supported by the water, not the walls. I pump water off the cover until it freezes.

Pool stands as straight as last season. I use a leaf net over the cover for the fall, and take it off once the trees are bare.

5EE8DD31-847B-4BC4-A16E-1B23FD06FA7C_zps628ghvi3.jpg

960931CC-837B-4497-B201-2CB7430B5217_zps5xdjpo55.jpg

Reactions: Zedhead

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I want to state that I have and have had an intex pool. My 24' blue was up for 7 years in the brutal MN winters. My new 28' grey will be going on its 2nd winter soon. Just waited for the cooler nights, added chemicals and the removed sand filter and drained past lowest inlet.threw in a big tractor tire tube and covered with a tarp. No problems (by the way we shrink wrapped the tarp around the pool. worked great. took a whole day to refill in spring but we put in a sand point for the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

by the way I also found a big skimmer from one of those blowup ring pools I got it at garage sale and melted the grey plastic that it hung on and worked it over the edge of our intex and now we have a skimmer. I put some big rocks in bottom to keep it in place but it works great and no water loss from cutting holes.

I want to state that I have and have had an intex pool. My 24' blue was up for 7 years in the brutal MN winters. My new 28' grey will be going on its 2nd winter soon. Just waited for the cooler nights, added chemicals and the removed sand filter and drained past lowest inlet.threw in a big tractor tire tube and covered with a tarp. No problems (by the way we shrink wrapped the tarp around the pool. worked great. took a whole day to refill in spring but we put in a sand point for the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

by the way I also found a big skimmer from one of those blowup ring pools I got it at garage sale and melted the grey plastic that it hung on and worked it over the edge of our intex and now we have a skimmer. I put some big rocks in bottom to keep it in place but it works great and no water loss from cutting holes.

Pictures of the skimmer mod?

Noon, the pillow is to take the pressure from ice that forms of the walls. The pillow should only be filled enough that you can step on it and touch the ground and the pillow is then taught. As the ice forms it squeezes the pillow. Moving inwards.

I don't mean to hijack this post, but I don't follow the pillow, and I've had Pools 14 years. I didn't follow you Amy, would you care to redescribe?

If you remove the water with a pump as I do, is this necessary. I think one year I put my molly Brown float in the middle and it ended up on the side, so I didn't understand the point.?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Our previous 16' metal frame Intex was left up for 6 years and survived many a horrible winter here in central okla. If it wasn't for getting a larger one his year it would have been still in use and left winterized for next summer. They are very durable! Just would recommend a heavier cover as stated above. The one that comes with these pools is more of a summer cover and too light weight.

Wow. I have a 18 ft and am considering leaving it up after this season. What did you do to winterize it. Your input would be very appreciated. My pool is 6 years old and its getting difficult to put up and down. We live in Virginia and the winter varies. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.