Over NIght Free Chlorine Test

Feb 4, 2018
Chandler AZ
Hi!

I had a little algae that started blooming so I did a SLAM. I kept doing the over night test and it keeps coming back as 1.5 loss over night. I’m testing when the sun goes down and before the sun comes up. Is 1.5 ok? Or do i need to keep slamming until that number gets under 1?

Thank you!

Sorry....

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

How many times a day are you testing and bringing the FC back to shock level? Are you brushing?

Brushing 2 times a day, morning and night, and testing the same. The water looks clear. I’m also running the pump on low non-stop. Should I be running it on high?
My CC is zero. I stopped slamming yesterday morning so my chlorine is back to normal levels today.

FC 8
CC 0
CYA 40
PH 7.6
TA 90
CH 300

Im not home in order to do it 3 times a day. Could i bring the chlorine up higher so it never drops below the minimum? So I should be at 16, so i could bring it to 20 and test 2 x a day, so it shouldn’t be falling below 16?
This algae this is gonna be the death of me. :( Last summer I battled it constantly, but this year I found you all! So hopefully it wont be so bad.

How long does an average slam last?

Im not home in order to do it 3 times a day. Could i bring the chlorine up higher so it never drops below the minimum? So I should be at 16, so i could bring it to 20 and test 2 x a day, so it shouldn’t be falling below 16?
This algae this is gonna be the death of me. :( Last summer I battled it constantly, but this year I found you all! So hopefully it wont be so bad.

How long does an average slam last?
Sorry to say, there is no “average” SLAM Process

Here is how busy people do 3X a day

when you get up
when you get home from work
Just before bed

When the weekend rolls around, hit it hard all day long.

Once the algae is gone as long as you stay on top of the FC/CYA levels you will have a great summer.

Some can last 48 hours while others can drawl out for weeks. All pools are individual.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.