Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We bought a clock at Lowe’s for out by the pool. We just put a nail in the side of the house and hung it up. We just had a big wind come thru and I heard it crash to the ground at 12:30am 😒. We obviously need a different kind of clock, one that attaches better or won’t break, but I don’t want one of those cheap plastic ones. Any good recommendations for one that won’t fly off the wall during a monsoon or ideas to attach it better?

Reactions: Nikilyn
Still hang it on the nail/screw - but add some caulking between the clock and stucco in several areas around the clock perimeter.

Use an "L" shaped anchor to hanger the clock on. This would be screwed into the wall, not nailed. Hang the dlock over the anchor with the base of the "L" pointing up.

I put this one on a fence hanging with 1 screw, it moves all over the place but it has stayed there for 2 years.. The most wind it has seen is 68 MPH so far.. it is heavy...

That definitely wouldn't shatter even if it fell off. I'll look into those.

Still hang it on the nail/screw - but add some caulking between the clock and stucco in several areas around the clock perimeter.

Use an "L" shaped anchor to hanger the clock on. This would be screwed into the wall, not nailed. Hang the dlock over the anchor with the base of the "L" pointing up.
Can you do that into stucco?

Can you do that into stucco?
Yes - I have a few on the back patio that have been there for over 15 years. I drilled a bunch of small holes laterally until I found a wood stud to screw into and then measure on 16" centers to find additional studs on that wall. I used caulk to fill the unused holes and just painted over them - given the textured stucco, you can tell where I filled those holes.

On a side note, I was at Tractor Supply yesterday (Arizona Ave south of Riggs) and saw two outdoor clocks that may work for you if yours got damaged.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of these days.. and its not high on my to do list is to get a new clock/thermometer for the outside. We used to have a big analog clock that could be seen from the pool that also had the temp hand on it. Over the 20yrs or so it hung there, it finally stopped working and it looked worse than rustic.. and that was 10 yrs ago. I guess it has become less of a priority since everyone just looks on their phones now. Now the kids want a Bluetooth receiver set up in the back yard so they can pair it to the outdoor sound system from the spa.. I tell ya!

One of these days.. and its not high on my to do list is to get a new clock/thermometer for the outside. We used to have a big analog clock that could be seen from the pool that also had the temp hand on it. Over the 20yrs or so it hung there, it finally stopped working and it looked worse than rustic.. and that was 10 yrs ago. I guess it has become less of a priority since everyone just looks on their phones now. Now the kids want a Bluetooth receiver set up in the back yard so they can pair it to the outdoor sound system from the spa.. I tell ya!
Problem with phones is that you actually have to pick them up to see what time it is. I want to see with a glance.

Yes - I have a few on the back patio that have been there for over 15 years. I drilled a bunch of small holes laterally until I found a wood stud to screw into and then measure on 16" centers to find additional studs on that wall. I used caulk to fill the unused holes and just painted over them - given the textured stucco, you can tell where I filled those holes.

On a side note, I was at Tractor Supply yesterday (Arizona Ave south of Riggs) and saw two outdoor clocks that may work for you if yours got damaged.
Would never have thought about going there.

We looked for the biggest clock that we could find that was weatherproof (in other words could get rained on). I built the curved triangular section to mount it and attached it to this pergola. It hangs from a screw, and I use some baling wire to secure it to two other screws in case it should slip off the screw it hangs on.

The humidity and temperature readings are horribly inaccurate, but it keeps good time despite exposure to direct sunlight and rain. I bring it inside for the winter.

I think we got it at Wayfair.

20210521_200431.jpg

We looked for the biggest clock that we could find that was weatherproof (in other words could get rained on). I built the curved triangular section to mount it and attached it to this pergola. It hangs from a screw, and I use some baling wire to secure it to two other screws in case it should slip off the screw it hangs on.

The humidity and temperature readings are horribly inaccurate, but it keeps good time despite exposure to direct sunlight and rain. I bring it inside for the winter.

I think we got it at Wayfair.

View attachment 347026
That is a nice looking clock. That’s the color I like and what our now broken one was.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.