Outdoor Speaker Solutions

I'm also looking for ideas here... my outdoor A/V is only a concept at the moment as we are just finishing our porch and still in the middle of doing the spa/pool. At this point I'm able to A/C power anything on the porch and have a dedicated outlet next to a cable pull point about 8' high on the wall. At the cable pull point I've got an amplified drop for the cable TV as well as 16ga cords run to speakers on the far wall. I can also pull cable (I'm thinking HDMI) from our entertainment system to the porch.

However, here's where things get sketchy. I have an Onkyo running our indoor entertainment and now that I look... it seems to have no remote A/V outputs... I'm thinking that a nice solution would be to buy a media center of some sort (computer based) and use it as a print server, file server and media server for the house. I think I'll run a cat-5 jumper back to our router, but access it via other PC and/or tablets on the wi-fi. I'm guessing LINUX is the best OS for this?

I'm still unclear how to best drive wired video, wired audio and maybe wireless audio from this kind of solution... If anyone else has done this I'd love to hear what/how/why.

While I don't have any out door entertainment currenty, I do use a Linux MythTV Media system. This will be EASY to extend to the pool when the time and $ allows. I am looking at moving to LMCE which is a Linux based Home Control system. It can among other systems can also control the pool and lighting as well. (Think lights dimming, and pump turning off/down when movie starts, to allow for a better movie experence. Media is one of it's many intergration points.

Hmm, I don't know what happend to the reply I posted this morning, so here goes again -

davelinde,

I wrote up a post a couple of months ago with what I did for my audio/video in my pool area that I built this past summer. You may find some things of use.

my-paradise-t54550.html

Had I been paying attention to the forum a few weeks ago, I would have posted the link for the OP.

That's a cool setup you have. I actually never had plans to do outdoor tvs in my pool area. The weather is so crazy and I'd rather not have to deal with taking it out and bringing it in all the time. And I wouldn't trust any of the weatherproof tvs I've seen.

What I might do is buy an outdoor projector and make a large screen in case we ever want to watch a movie outdoors at night or a ball game or something. My brother in law works for comcast and can hook me up with any installs I need for cable if I want to run it out there.

The TIG speakers I bought seem like they will work great. Ill bury them on each side of the pool around the middle and run them off my A speakers. If I need additional ones, I could easily pick up 2 more and run those as well.

With regards to home media stuff, I have my entire house wired for streaming video and audio of all sorts. I use a combo of a computer and various media devices. As I originally stated in my first post, I use a Logitech squeezebox for portable access to my home music and things like pandora.

For my other stuff, I use 2 playstation 3's that I use to stream Netflix, amazon, home media including my full DVD collection which I have backed up. I am also in the process of converting my older desktop into a media server and DVR to use in my basement "man cave" which has a 92" screen and hd projector.

Now, if I wanted to get any if this streaming out to my pool area, the one option I had seriously considered was wireless speakers. However, I could see just buying an Apple TV or just using my squeezebox to stream everything through the setup I am doing. Since those work with wireless, seems easy enough. The Apple TV or roku box could be hooked up to an outdoor tv pretty easily....at least in my setup.

There are lots of options. This is why I was so confused. But I'm happy with where I am heading right now. Not happy with the snow and ice that just dumped on us. Makes me think that spring will never get here!

I use SONOS zone (wireless) out by my pool, which is similar to Squeezebox.

I have a JBL marine radio head with the Sonos plugged into it's AUX port. That allows us to play the same lineup that you have; iTunes libraries and playlists, NAS files, Pandora/Rhapsody, etc. The marine head (JBL) is also Sirius capable. We control it with either a SONOS remote, or with a smartphone with the SONOS app. It allows us to control not just music selection, but also volume, balance, etc.

I power the marine head with a MeanWell S-150-12 inverter, it was $35.

The JBL head drives four Yamaha speakers. I forget the model, but browsing online my speakers look exactly like the current NS-AW570 speaker.

My system has been in for 8 years, maybe nine. It's survived the New England winters. No component failures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.