Outdoor speaker setups

ja123

May 21, 2018
NJ
Can anyone post photos of their speaker setups/designs? I am looking for some ideas to setup some quality outdoor sound. I basically want to have a outdoor volume control knob with a total of 4 outdoor speakers and possibly some kind of in ground sub as I don't have much coverage/over hang in my yard. Any help is appreciated!

If you look at these pics you will see what I did, they are simple Yamaha 5 1/2" outdoor speakers. I am not trying to listen to a concert. I simply wanted the sound level to be adjustable so the patio and pool could be adjusted.

The solution is a simple receiver, I run the TV sound into my receiver then I use two channels A & B I can balance between the two or run one or the other.

If you are looking to crank a concert my speakers might not handle the watts. My neighbors are semi close so I respect their privacy also.

Attachments

• Speaker 1.jpg
    Speaker 1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Speaker2.jpg
    Speaker2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Speaker3.jpg
    Speaker3.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 166
I have an apple Airport Express (Amazon.com: Apple Airport Express Base Station MC414LL/A (Renewed): Gateway) in my pool house.

The audio output from the Airport Express goes to one of these small amps (Amazon.com: Kinter K2020A+ Limited Edition Original Tripath TA2020-020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with 12V 5A Power Supply Black: Gateway).

The little amp then powers two of these (Amazon.com: TIC GS3 8" Outdoor Weather-Resistant Omnidirectional In-Ground Speaker (Single): Gateway) positioned around my pool.

I can play anything from my iPhone (or PC in the house, for that matter) through the speakers and can control the volume via my phone or at the amp.

I'm a big fan of Sonos - I have my entire home wired with Sonos Connect:Amp boxes with (mostly) in-ceiling/in-wall speakers. Outdoors I have a few zones with Connect:Amps and DefTech AW6500 speakers - they sound great, but I may upgrade the Connect:Amps to the new Sonos Amp for the extra power per channel.

I have an apple Airport Express (Amazon.com: Apple Airport Express Base Station MC414LL/A (Renewed): Gateway) in my pool house.

The audio output from the Airport Express goes to one of these small amps (Amazon.com: Kinter K2020A+ Limited Edition Original Tripath TA2020-020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with 12V 5A Power Supply Black: Gateway).

The little amp then powers two of these (Amazon.com: TIC GS3 8" Outdoor Weather-Resistant Omnidirectional In-Ground Speaker (Single): Gateway) positioned around my pool.

I can play anything from my iPhone (or PC in the house, for that matter) through the speakers and can control the volume via my phone or at the amp.

WOW these TIC speakers are very affordable! How do they sound??

WOW these TIC speakers are very affordable! How do they sound??
They're not Bose, but they're not those cheap rock speakers, either. Treble is acceptable, and bass response is really good, which I like around the pool. I saw these very speakers in use on the grounds at Busch Gardens in Virginia and that's what steered me toward this style rather than the eave-mounted variety.

I like how these speakers weather the elements--I put a the smaller ones around my patio in 2009 and installed this pair next to my pool when we built it in 2015. 9 years for the older pair and going into our 5th season on the second set around the pool. Outside all year round in mid-Atlantic weather. No problems with either set at all. Can you tell I like them?

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 166
They're not Bose, but they're not those cheap rock speakers, either. Treble is acceptable, and bass response is really good, which I like around the pool. I saw these very speakers in use on the grounds at Busch Gardens in Virginia and that's what steered me toward this style rather than the eave-mounted variety.

I like how these speakers weather the elements--I put a the smaller ones around my patio in 2009 and installed this pair next to my pool when we built it in 2015. 9 years for the older pair and going into our 5th season on the second set around the pool. Outside all year round in mid-Atlantic weather. No problems with either set at all. Can you tell I like them?

Very nice! Thank you for sharing. Nothing like quality sound around the pool. What is the purpose of the airport express? First time I am hearing about this device?

If you've bought into the Apple ecosystem the Airport Express is a great little product. It connects to your wifi (or wired) network and has a 3.5mm female audio plug on the back for your audio connection. With that you can play music from any iOS device or any Mac/PC running iTunes via AirPlay. Sound quality is better over wifi/AirPlay than it is over Bluetooth. Just click on the little radiating triangle AirPlay icon and it brings up a list of your AirPlay devices, including your Airport Express. In my case, I have a few around the house and on the pool and patio. You can play to one set of speakers or all. For example, if it's just me swimming laps in the pool, I'll set it to just the pool speakers, but when we have parties for our teenagers we'll select all of AirPlay devices so that we play music on all of the speakers at once.

Think about it as a wireless bridge. If you have digital audio (essentially anything you can play on your computer) that you want to play on speakers other than those on your computer, then the Airport Express creates that bridge. The little Airport Express can do a lot of other stuff, too--but the audio function is what I use most.

I'm sure there's an Android/Google equivalent out there (Chromecast audio?), but this was what was available at the time we set it up and it's worked pretty seamlessly.

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 5.png
    5.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Cephrael
If you've bought into the Apple ecosystem the Airport Express is a great little product. It connects to your wifi (or wired) network and has a 3.5mm female audio plug on the back for your audio connection. With that you can play music from any iOS device or any Mac/PC running iTunes via AirPlay. Sound quality is better over wifi/AirPlay than it is over Bluetooth. Just click on the little radiating triangle AirPlay icon and it brings up a list of your AirPlay devices, including your Airport Express. In my case, I have a few around the house and on the pool and patio. You can play to one set of speakers or all. For example, if it's just me swimming laps in the pool, I'll set it to just the pool speakers, but when we have parties for our teenagers we'll select all of AirPlay devices so that we play music on all of the speakers at once.

Think about it as a wireless bridge. If you have digital audio (essentially anything you can play on your computer) that you want to play on speakers other than those on your computer, then the Airport Express creates that bridge. The little Airport Express can do a lot of other stuff, too--but the audio function is what I use most.

I'm sure there's an Android/Google equivalent out there (Chromecast audio?), but this was what was available at the time we set it up and it's worked pretty seamlessly.

Hmmmm interesting setup and thorough explanation, thank you. Think I will give this a try

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a older Yamaha receiver that lets me run 4 Yamaha outdoor speakers , I also put a small Google mini outside . The receiver has a Google chromecast on it to give me wi-fi. I use the mini speaker voice commands to control Spotify. Works well, The Yamaha outdoor speakers are a real bargain and sound great. Have had them outside ( under the eves for 5 years no problems)...

Attachments

• 5251AB89-CCEC-42C1-A65C-5B75372895E3.jpeg
    5251AB89-CCEC-42C1-A65C-5B75372895E3.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 50000C78-78CA-4593-A9D9-3D5D3740F98B.jpeg
    50000C78-78CA-4593-A9D9-3D5D3740F98B.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 10FE9646-0EA7-46E9-A0F7-244BF45DE985.jpeg
    10FE9646-0EA7-46E9-A0F7-244BF45DE985.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 76
  • E3842169-CFB7-45C3-8CCA-2E9861A0CA6D.jpeg
    E3842169-CFB7-45C3-8CCA-2E9861A0CA6D.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 72
I run 3 independent zones (3 nuvo profile units). They power 4 speakers on my covered patio. Zone 2 is 4 speakers in my pool house. Zone 3 will be nuvo’s array around the pool. 6 satellites and 1 buried sub. Those zones are part of my other 12 zones in my home which is all nuvo.

Reactions: mojo1980
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.