Outdoor speaker questions

Aug 25, 2015
ny ny
Right now i have been dragging out my Sonos speakers and plugging them in which isnt a big deal, but i would like a permament solution.

I live in NY so i experience the four seasons. I have a good set up under the sil of my 2nd story roof that i can mount them safely.

Are there any products that anyone here has used and recommends? Ive done research on Cnet and they dont seem to have much input on them. Id prefer something similar to the Sonos that i can control from my smartphone although it is not a neccesity. Thanks!

I've had Bose Outdoor, Polk Atriums, and Definitive Technology AW6500's. The first two don't come near the performance of the AW6500s. Anyone who hears these speakers comments on the clarity and sound. The Bose were very clear, but the bass was hollow. The AW6500 has a bass reflector on the back side that does a good job. I have my AW6500s connected to a Sonos Amp. A friend of mine has the smaller AW5500, and they sound very good also.

I've had Bose Outdoor, Polk Atriums, and Definitive Technology AW6500's. The first two don't come near the performance of the AW6500s. Anyone who hears these speakers comments on the clarity and sound. The Bose were very clear, but the bass was hollow. The AW6500 has a bass reflector on the back side that does a good job. I have my AW6500s connected to a Sonos Amp. A friend of mine has the smaller AW5500, and they sound very good also.

I have to say, ive seen these models come up a bunch with my research. Now im a bit out of the loop with the Sonos as i purchased them a few years ago.

If i wanted to use those speakers outside and control them with my smartphone, i would need the Sonos amp correct? Or is there some way to control them without shelling out a few hundred for the amp?

I have the aw5500's and they are incredible. My neighbors often txt me telling me they like the song. Being funny but they will jam out. I have them hooked to a denon receiver with AirPlay and app controlled. We can sit anywhere by the pool and adjust volume and change channel. Air drop songs on the fly.

If you love your Sonos, why not consider a Sonos connect amp with some outdoor speakers?

This is actually what im planning on doing, i was just seeing if there were any better alternatives to the sonos connect amp but it looks like there isnt yet. Found myself some proficient audio speakers that im planning on running to the amp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another Sonos and Klipsch fan here as well. We put in AW-650's for the "wetter" area of the patio under the pergola and Klipsch 1800 8" ceiling mounts in the wood tongue and groove kitchen/dining area and could not be happier. The 650's are beefier than the 1800's and of course are a surface mount solution and not "in-ceiling" but they blend in since they are white and we put them under the awning which is also white.

Both of these run to their own Sonos AMPs so we can keep it tame or really let some sound out if we group them. We'll most likely put in a 3rd Sonos AMP and a pair of Klipsch rock speakers once the pool is done to be able to have a zone at that end of the yard.

With Sonos (or any amp really), remember to keep an eye on the speaker impedance ratings. Budget speakers tend to be lower impedance (4 ohm) and are fine if running just one pair. If you are considering running more that one pair, be sure they are at least 8 ohm or you can risk burning your amp out.

-plat

I have Definitive Technology all through my house. I have the AW6500's on the back covered patio in the corners powered by the 2nd channel of a Marantz SR7007 (125 watts ch) and they sound incredible! two of them fill up the back yard as needed & the sound quality is as good as the indoor DefTec speakers I have at any volume. check out crutchfield.com, great customer service, price, 60 day full money back return and they handle the warranty issues too.

I did the Sonos Connect Amp and then ran it out to Klipsch KHO-7 speakers. Couldn't be happier.

Ditto!

Add a spotify account and you will have end-less music options

I purchased the connect amp- speakers, and wire from bestbuy for less than 1200.00. My neighbors had BestBuy "magnolia" install their "name brand" system which clicked in over 3k. Long story short.......they love our setup/sound.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.