Outdoor kitchen under pool house overhang

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Folks, so my pool house is now about done, planning the kitchen under the overhang. The concern I have is the vinyl ceiling of the overhang overheating/melting/combusting when grilling. The ceiling is 9 ft high and as you can see below everything is open. The 2 grills I will have one gas and other is charcoal. Both will be closer to the open side and not near the siding of the pool house itself. So it's jut the ceiling I'm worried about. Any experience, feedback?
1c3bf465c6b46a2979509c62cfd49deb.jpg

0374394eb567b67c838712504622df74.jpg

Depends how much heat your grills put out. I have "friends" who have turbocharged their gas grill to put out very high heat.

Keep your grill heat under control and don't get any grease fires and you should be okay.

What do your local building codes say?

Depends how much heat your grills put out. I have "friends" who have turbocharged their gas grill to put out very high heat.

Keep your grill what under control and don't get any grease fires and you should be okay.

What do your local building codes say?

I'm gonna check with the building inspector tomorrow. I had an electrical inspector come around to do a final on the pool, I asked him and he said he would be concerned, but wasn't sure on the code part, told me to check with the building inspector.
As for grills, the gas grill I probably wouldn't worry too much, but the charcoal does get hot and there will be fire when first getting the coals going.

I have 2 gas grills under a patio cover that appears to be about the same height as yours - only difference is that patio cover ceiling is made of wood and not vinyl. Still, I think you should be OK. After several years, I've never had an incident, but I do keep an eye on the grills when they are in operation. You know what they say about a "watched pot"... :)

So I spoke with both building and fire code inspectors and both said, shouldn’t be an issue as long as I follow manufactures recommended clearances. There’s nothing in the code that advices against this. So, what I’ll do is some test grilling and will keep an eye out.

Our porch ceiling is shorter so YMMV. We had a gas grill and charcoal grill under the porch. My husband charcoal grills ALOT. The problem with the charcoal grill was the smoke leaves a black residue on the ceiling which is a pain to clean off. He wasn’t happy but we relocated the charcoal grill to another spot near cover but not directly under.

So I did some test grilling with my gas grill and it was perfectly fine the ceiling didn’t even get warm.

The charcoal may definitely be more problematic as I do a lot of kabobs over charcoal as well.

I will have a large fan right over the outdoor kitchen area, so I’m hoping that would help dissipating the smoke.

Azmp1 I have 2 honeywell fans strategically mounted high on the on the wall to deal with excessive smoke. They also are used to provide cooling when it is very hot. They work extremely well. Look at some of my posts in the links in sig bar for ideas. Hope this helps:cheers:

Azmp1 I have 2 honeywell fans strategically mounted high on the on the wall to deal with excessive smoke. They also are used to provide cooling when it is very hot. They work extremely well. Look at some of my posts in the links in sig bar for ideas. Hope this helps:cheers:

Yes I think the fan will do the job perfectly as well. Thank you for you pr feedback. Btw, just looked at your setup - very nice!

And also saw your Solar thread, that’s some excellent results. Planning to add that in the future as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.