Outdoor kitchen - steel frame with cement backer board or cinder block construction?

jark87

Silver Supporter
Jun 5, 2011
Flower Mound, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Our existing outdoor kitchen is made of cinder block from and surrounded by a thick stone. It’s virtually indestructible even after 14 years. We’re expanding the area and the 2 finalist builders have different approaches to the kitchen frame. One uses cinder block construction. This is the builder we used for our last kitchen. The other uses steel framing with cement backer board. There are pros and cons with each approach, but my main concern is the longevity of the steel frame. I’m concerned about rust, especially where screws attach pieces together. We’ll have a cover, but exposure to water will still be significant.

Any experiences, pros or cons with either approach? Thanks in advance for any help!

Either will work. I agree with you that the cinder block construction is likely to last longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.